• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

There are two rules (okay, probably more, but only two that apply here!): You cannot allow grass and weeds to take over a garden; you should never work clay soil when it is damp.

I was faced with this situation today. Thanks to days and days of rain, usually coming just as the soil is starting to be dry enough to work, I had a few rows of tomatoes, potatoes and peppers that grass and weeds are threatening to overrun. And the ground, at least a major part of it, has a lot of clay. Plus, either tonight or tomorrow we are supposed to get dumped on with another heavy rain. We had over an inch very early yesterday. The top of the ground was dry but not anything down 3-4 inches.

Do I till the ground and kill thousands of grass and weeds or let it go? Dad and grandpa would have had my butt but I went with tilling it, based on experience. Many years ago, we had a field of tobacco, growing in a clay soil. Like this year, it was a very wet spring after transplanting and the tobacco was not growing at all. We had a Cub tractor, equipped with sidedressing implements. These were front plows that were only about an inch wide, max, but had long shafts. I lowered them to the max, to the point they would just stay in the frame. Then, I cultivated the tobacco, lowering the cultivators as deep as they would go - somewhere close to 11" deep.

The soil was not, thankfully, dry. Even so, Cubby had a hard time getting through the soil. As expected, chunks of dirt rather than friable soil came up.

But... all ended well. That 3/4 acre of ground produced fantastically. I never told dad I had had broke one of his cardinal rules.

Thankfully, I don't have to answer to him about my garden!

Mike

If you till it right now you will have really big clumps of soil to deal with. If you wait till it dries out a little, then you will be able to till it and get the weeds out and not have to deal with huge clumps of soil later. I know the huge clumps are a pain. Don't ask me how I know lol! Just my 2 cents worth.

Charles

Charles,

I went ahead and till it - the weeds were so high and thick in places I had trouble telling good plants from bad. And yeah, I did get some chunks of dirt, though they were not too big.

Not to fear - we had a downpour just a few minutes ago and water is standing in the rows. More than enough to melt the clods. We've had over 3 inches of rain between Saturday and today and about six inches in the last week. The only plants that seem to love it are the broccoli and it is in very loose soil.

Mike

Finally, I was able to get into the garden and till parts of it. Had to stake the tom plants first - they were sprawled all over the ground. At times, it was hard to tell the veggies from the grass - it was that bad. My compost pile grew a bit, thanks to all the weeds. I pulled up the ones between and close to the plants before tilling

Lost a non-decent percentage of potato plants - two weeks of wet soil will do that. Most of the peppers look like crap; I'm hoping a good dose of compost tea mixed with Fish Emulsion and some other ferts will perk them up. Cukes seem to love it and some cabbage plants have survived. No sign of basil plants; not good since I sowed about 15' of them. Most of the toms look great - significant amount of blooms. The broccoli - it is in seventh heaven! The peanuts and strawberries are doing great, as are the green beans. Peas, carrots, onions and lettuce are staying alive.

Alas, rain is forecast for tomorrow and Monday but then an extended period of dry weather. Hopefully, I can add the compost tea/fish emulsion before the rain hits.

Oh, and I discovered I have a huge infestation of whiteflies. Gotta Google to see what kills them. DDT?

Mike

Back