• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Damp off ?

I Know this topic has been coverd many times , should be the first thing everybody should learn how to avoid .... Ive never had a problem with it really but this morning I found one of the yellow scops falling victum to it , and with all that said how can one take extra care avoiding it ??????

Damping off is usually do to too much water and warmth. Basically the seedling is overwatered and too warm and just dies. The best way to avoid it is to watch the watering. They can deal with just about everything else, but get all whiney when you give them toO much water. Damn Emotional plants!

Thats a big 10/4 folks , very good tips . Got me 2 small fans to keep the air circulating , thanks for da advice.

Lol....damn emotional plants ! yer very right...
They are .

I've had some problems with damp off, and have found a few "solutions" online.

First, if top watering, avoid watering around the stem of the plant- water around the edges of the cup or pot.

Second, you can mix a tablespoon of 3% h202 to a gallon of water, and this is supposed to prevent the mold from taking hold.

Third, anti-fungal agents in the soil should prevent damp-off. I know some of the Promix mixes have them, probably some seed starter mixes too (but you'd have to check.)

On a similar thought, and I'm not sure if this would work, but colonizing your soil with beneficial microbes may assist in preventing damp off as well.

Goodluck, I always have problems when it gets hot and I decide the plants need a nice big drink of cool water. By the time the cups the seedling are in heat up, I've lost a few to the dreaded damp off.

Thanks mafwiz , I def. Look into that , Ive lost only one . But its important to understand why it happens and how to prevented it rather than just doing what yer told .... The knowing factor is yer
Best weapon.

Thanks
-Omar

Back