• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Damping Off

Yesterday I noticed a little white fuzz on the tops of two of my Jiffy pellets which I am assuming is damping off. Does anyone know a remedy for this or should I just forget about them and toss them away? Really not keen on wasting good seed though....

I recall hearing somewhere that chamomile tea is a mild fungicide so last night I gave that a shot but alas the fuzzy stuff is back this morning. I also recall hearing that a bi-carb solution might do the trick or a sprinkle of ground cinnamon on the surface... reckon either is worth a shot?

I believe damping off refers to the sprout which should be vertical is now horizontal and no longer alive as a result of to much moisture at the surface near the base of the sprout. Bottom watering is recommended to avoid excess moisture on top. If you don't have a sprout yet then yes try the tea or corn meal or mild h2o2 to remove the crud.

Mike

I believe damping off refers to the sprout which should be vertical is now horizontal and no longer alive as a result of to much moisture at the surface near the base of the sprout. Bottom watering is recommended to avoid excess moisture on top. If you don't have a sprout yet then yes try the tea or corn meal or mild h2o2 to remove the crud.

Mike

Awesome, seeds have yet to sprout, so I may still have a chance by the sounds of it (as long as the fungus ain't got to the seeds and killederized them already).

Can you tell me too how I go about bottom watering? I'm guessing I just take the jiffy and sit it in a tray of a little water and let it suck it up?

Yes but not saturated with water, just moist. The Jiffy pots can dry out if your not paying attention and are hard to get them to soak up moisture again after that. I am amused by the difference between our posts quantity and you joined 3 days after me.

Good luck Mike

Yes but not saturated with water, just moist. The Jiffy pots can dry out if your not paying attention and are hard to get them to soak up moisture again after that.
Ah, yes, I do try to keep that nice moist balance between wet and dry but for some strange reason, the couple with the fuzzy growth are ones that stay unusually wet. On average, I only water them once for every 3-4 times I water the others. I've moved them several times to different positions on my heat mat but still no change. I dunno, maybe they're just duds and it wouldn't be a such bad idea ditching them to hopefully avoid spreading the fuzz.

Either way, I'll isolate them and try a sprinkle of cinnamon and a spray of bicarb first and see what happens. And cornmeal you say? Just a sprinkle on the surface?

I am amused by the difference between our posts quantity and you joined 3 days after me.
:lol:

I didn't notice that. I would put that down to the fact that I used to spend a little bit too much time in the Fun Zone..........

Good luck Mike
Thanks, Mike!

Back