• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

dannyd Peppers 2012 - 1st Grow

So, I got a bit of a late start, but nonetheless I am proceeding with my first pepper grow.

On May 1st I planted 36 seeds. 12 each of jalapeno, cayenne, and habanero. In the picture below, these are the seeds in the right half of the tray. I hadn't done much reading at the time I planted the first 36 seeds so I just bought a seed starting kit with pellets that expanded into potting soil when I poured water over them. After a bit of reading that night (I couldn't stop, and still can't, reading learning and watching my peppers (thanks THP!)) I started to worry about the potting soil that I used, so I planted 34 more seeds on May 2nd in a MiracleGro orchid mix, in the right half of the tray.

DSC01136.jpg

For fertilizer I am using:

FishFertilizer.jpg

I am just starting to learn about different fertilizers and the nutrient needs of pepper plants, so I know it's not ideal for my plants, but I figure it's better than nothing. I didn't realize when I bought it that it was meant to be used when the plant is fruiting. I didn't realize different fertilizers were used at different stages of the season. I plan on buying a different fertilizer for the growing phase.

After a few nights of worrying that I may have started too late and that I may not get many peppers this season, I went out this morning and bought a serrano plant and thai hot plant:

DSC01133.jpg

DSC01132.jpg

My plan is to pot 8 plants, and give as many away as I can once they are ready to go outside.

Next weekend I will be buying the potting mix from a local landscaping center. I plan on using the 1/3 compost, 1/3 top soil, and 1/3 sharp sand recipe that I found in the sticky thread all about soil. I also have bonemeal and bloodmeal to add to the soil if I decide to after reading a bit more.

Nights are starting to warm up, so the serrano and thai hot will go outside soon. In fact, they were outside when I bought them at The Home Depot, on a cold, rainy day with no sun. For now, they are in front of a fairly large window and should get a lot of light.

DSC01135.jpg

LOOKS GOOD! Don't forget you do not need any ferts right now or you might burn em before they bust out , the MG soil should have enough for good while. Nice choice on the Thai Hot and Serrano can not go wrong with either, I eat more serranos then I do Jalapenos probably two or three a day with lunch. The Thai's would be great to make some real Thai Hot dishes...Thanx for the post!

Be Well

PS: I have alot of kin up in Newburyport and Salem, Mass. from my Dad's side..

Thanks Spicegeist, PepperLover, and Sawdust.

The jalapenos that I planted last Tuesday in the orchid potting mix are starting to sprout on day 7. None of the seeds that I planted the day before are showing any signs of sprouting nor are any cayenne or habanero. Here is a pic:

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

At this point I am not sure if it is the soil or the fact that the heating pad is under the orchid mix... it is not large enough to cover the entire area below the tray.

Would it be a good idea to re-position the heating pad once in a while? At this point I don't think I will take the risk that changing the growing conditions might have on the seedlings.

Since I have a few sprouters, should I leave the cover off the tray now, or is it okay to just put it on a little loose, slanted if you know what I mean, since the majority of the seeds aren't sprouts yet?

Hey everyone.

Since my last update a lot has happened. First, almost all of my seedlings germinated and are starting to get their first set of true leaves. I lost a few to helmet-head, but it's okay because I have too many and needed to learn what helmet-head was.

Jalapenos:
DSC01172.jpg

Habaneros:
DSC01173.jpg

Habaneros (left), Cayennes (right):
DSC01174.jpg

I also bought a bunch of soil/compost to pot the plants I bought from the Home Depot.

DSC01168.jpg

If you read this post, http://thehotpepper....opic/30607-mud/, then you know that the soil did not work out well for me on it's own, so I mixed in some perlite, soil from my neighbors garden, and some peat moss. Once I got a good enough mix, I also added bone meal, blood meal, and in the top half some Soil Moist with mychorriza.

DSC01169.jpg

Here are the plants in their new homes:

DSC01162.jpg

Since putting them outside last week, I have experienced my first case of aphids. You may be able to see an aphid below. And, I believe the leaf damage shown is aphids. Anyone agree? The aphid in the picture was a mother, and I caught her giving birth to live young. I didn't know what an aphid was when I saw her there. My neighbor told me what it was. I picked them all off with tweezers and have only seen one tiny one on the plant over the past few days.

DSC01164.jpg

DSC01166.jpg

The Soil Moist product is not what I thought it was when I bought it. I noticed some gelatin-like substance in my soil and had no idea what it was, so I did some research and figured out that it was the Soil Moist. I thought it was just mychorizza, but apparently it is mostly water-management polymers (see picture below) with a bit of mychorriza added in. In the picture below, i gathered it all together for the pic and to remove it from the top layer of soil. It is not that dense throughout.

DSC01167.jpg

Hopefully it helps and doesn't harm do any harm. Thanks for following.

-Dan

Hi Dan
Looks like you're off to a good start. A good way to deal with aphids non-chemically is to dust your plants with Diatomaceous Earth. It's just crushed Diatom shells. It cuts up soft-bodied insects and slugs and they bleed out. Don't breathe the dust since ground glass or its equivalent in the lungs isn't a good thing, and it needs to be re-applied after it rains.

Hey stickman I didn't realize you responded to this post since it has been so long since I have posted an update. Thanks for the tip. I was considering using DE, ended up going with neem oil.

Here are some pictures of the plants. My friends wife gave me two heirloom Peruvian Chile seedlings yesterday. I potted them today and tore the roots pretty bad on one of them, but I am sure it will recover and do just fine. Notice the colors on the leaves. Very nice plants and I hope they have time this season to grow big. I will definitely keep one of them for net year.

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01184.jpg

The serrano is doing great. I was picking buds, but I am done and letting it grow as it pleases now. There are three side branches that are starting to grow rapidly. I think I will get a nice yield from this one.

serrano2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

DSC01187.jpg

The thai hot is also doing great. A bit taller than it was, and much bushier. I expect a big harvest from this plant as well.

thaihot.jpg

thaihot3.jpg

And finally there are the seedlings (the only ones I grew from seed). I feel like it took a while for them to get used to being in the 4" pots, showing very little growth for a few weeks, then we had a ton of rain, and now with the sun I can tell they are about to take off. I'm not sure what kind of harvest I'll get from these, but I am hoping one descent harvest from each.

Cayenne (this is the one I thought was deformed):

DSC01183.jpg

Habanero:

DSC01185.jpg

Jalapeno:

DSC01186.jpg

Hey stickman I didn't realize you responded to this post since it has been so long since I have posted an update. Thanks for the tip. I was considering using DE, ended up going with neem oil.

Hi Dan, no problem

Here are some pictures of the plants. My friends wife gave me two heirloom Peruvian Chile seedlings yesterday. I potted them today and tore the roots pretty bad on one of them, but I am sure it will recover and do just fine. Notice the colors on the leaves. Very nice plants and I hope they have time this season to grow big. I will definitely keep one of them for net year.

Glad to see your plants are off to a good start. Boy, you and PaulG have really tall Serranos... This is the first year I grew them and didn't know any better when they grew pretty short and squat. I got them in a seed swap hosted by a THP member and I'm beginning to suspect they're a cross of some sort. Considering how compact and bushy they are I'm thinking maybe some kind of Chinense. Good luck with your grow, and stay in touch...

The thai hot is a fantastic producer, I still have bags of dehydrated thai hots from last year that I haven't had the chance to eat yet. Your peppers are looking great! The serranos are especially kicking some ass.

Thanks. Serranos are a favorite of mine. My dad eats fresh serranos almost every day, so I started eating them with him and now I can't wait for the harvest.

Stefan - What do you do with all of the thai hots? My understanding is that they are not good to eat whole, raw, and fresh, outside of a dish, so I was thinking of making a powder or flakes, less for flavor and more to spice up my cooking.

I just did my first night-time check of the plants and found an earwig at the base of one of the peruvian seedlings. I will have to find a way to avert the potential damage if neem is not effective.

Can anybody tell me more about peruvian chiles? How hot are they? Are there different varieties?

I have three extra large ziplock bags stuffed with the thai chillis, which came out of five plants growing in one large pot. I had dreams of using them in assorted dishes, but I found other peppers more to my liking. In the end there were just so many of them that I decided to simply dehydrate and store them for the future. As a result, I'm not growing any this year even though I really liked the way the plants look.

To answer your question, the flavour was not exceptional in any form other than dried flakes that could be added to stir fries and things like that. Aside from the taste, another reason to turn them into flakes is that the heat level was pretty inconsistent from pod to pod (at least with mine), so flaking and mixing them helped to create a more even heat level.

If you are interested in having a preview of what they taste like I can send some to you. I suspect I have several year's worth at the rate I'm going so I don't mind sharing.

This is my final post in this topic. The rest of my growing season went flawlessly and I am vary happy with the amount of peppers that I got after my first growing season. Here are some pictures:

The ten buckets, taken in early August before I left for school:

081612183454.jpg

A few pod close-ups:

081612183340.jpg

081612183222.jpg

Some of the yields:

092812160139.jpg

pepperbowl.jpg

dryingpeppers.jpg

Seasoning that I made with cayenne pepper powder:

100612151646.jpg

And salsa: