• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dark dots and streaks on yellow

Hi, (please move this to the Peppers growing forum, rather than growing Other..sorry, a rushed mind isn't a precise mind)

This here below is a clone/cutting from an older plant (five years at least) of unknown kind, except that it is likely a chinense.

I managed to get it to grow roots and put it in soil initially, where it was quite happy, without discoloration. Then decided to stick it in a "hempy bucket", that is to say in this case a 5L bucket with leca gravel at the bottom, a hole a couple of cms from the bottom for excess liquid to exit and then vermiculite (1/3) and perlite (2/3). Like the first grow I ever did two years ago though some soil was still attached to the base of the roots when I transplanted it to this simple hydro solution. It experienced the "transplant stasis" for four-five days then started growing again.

Over the last two weeks it has developed something that seems to be spreading - small yellow parts at the edges of some leaves, with dark dots. There are also dark streaks along the veins of some leaves, see the images below from today.

It's been given the weakest dose of Flora Grow(as per the bottle) at pH~6.5 and the standard dose of Diamond Nectar (~3 and 3ml resp. in 5l of water). I realize there might be some logical conundrums with parts of the roots still being in soil, this worked (too well) during the first grow (it didn't kill those plants and I'm using similar nutrients now..no HID and 5L bucket is the only difference). Temp has been around 20C most of the time (we had one week of summer a week or two ago) and relative humidity at around 38-42%. I see no pests on it.

What might be its issue? (Will discontinue Flora Grow and DN now that it has started developing flowers, will start with FloraMato and Micro instead, but let it dry some first)

DSC09060.jpg

DSC09061.jpg

DSC09062.jpg
DSC09063.jpg

Many thanks for stopping by.

Hey chelicerae.  Looks like transpiration and nutrient uptake issues.  That rolling up of the rear and edges of the leaves suggests the plants are trying to slow the transpiration of water from the leaves.  If the light isn't intense, it may mean root issues.  If the light is intense, maybe scale it back.  The leaf patterning looks like multiple deficiency to me, with new growth likely pulling mobiles from older growth.  Could be incomplete nute supplementation in an inert medium, pH range (maybe slightly high?), or root issues. Are the roots getting enough O2? Could you maybe have some root rot?  Nothing looks like pest or pathogen to me.

Thanks for your reply Cane.

An or several nutritional deficiencies appears probable, pH could probably be slightly lower too (5.5-6). Hard to say how the roots are doing, right now they should be going through the medium toward nutritional pool at the bottom. When I removed the aji plants, in just the same kind of setup, their roots looked OK to my inexperienced eyes, they are not supposed to be able to drown in this bucket setup. I don't know how to check the roots without removing the plant from the bucket or what to check for if I do? (You aren't, I believe, referring to the Phytophthora capsici commercial 'rot')

The lights..5 10-15W LEDs right now. The cone led from my last glog lasted for a month or so, I complained to the seller who proceeded to tell me they weren't designed to operate for 14hrs/day and that the power supply unit in it had probably give up its ghost. They sent me a new one, which eventually arrived and I tried soldering it on last night. I can't solder to save my life though so in the end I exposed and twinned wires and then taped them. Seems to work, need to try it over the weekend in case it starts a fire.

Also acquired a smaller type of greenhouse for the balcony that I hope the cats won't shred and am planning on putting one plant in it for ~2hrs of direct sunlight per day.

----

--> Will flush this transplant with pH adjusted water @ 5.5-6, make sure bucket hole works, then start with floramato+floramicro, 3ml/l + 2ml/l (from Floranova Grow and Diamond Nectar), will also move the 6k 10W Led that sits in a floor standing socket right next to this plant further away.

I just meant general waterlogged root rot, but mainly was floating ideas. When I have a plant that's doing the generally unhappy thing I mainly just watch all the "usual suspect" conditions more carefully and give it time to recover.  Yours has been through some changes lately and might just be little weakened.  Hopefully it will recover quickly. 

Really a bummer about the light. I remember the pics and it looked sharp.  Hope the PSU lasts longer this time. 
And yeah, I'm somewhat "soldering challenged" myself  :rolleyes:

As an update I did as detailed above, except I found that Philips FDK and put this plant under it (18W cfl w reflector). It looks pretty good now, though it has dropped its first set of flowers, no pollen detected. Temps are between 23 and 26C and rh remains between 40% and 55% with a mild breeze. I know chinense are prone to do precisely this from experience so perhaps I had better start the large humidifier and keep the entire apartment tropical.

https://ibb.co/mCsPmjv

Back