seeds Datil seedling repotting and general maintenance questions

Hi,

I have absolutely zero experience growing anything, but wanted to grow some datils to make hot sauce. So I bought a mature plant from a local grower and found some seedlings for sale on craigslist.

In the picture, you can see my little seedling dudes, and I know pretty soon I'll have to move them to a bigger pot and I have a few questions:

1. How big should the next pot be, or should I just put them into the "final" big pot..like the mature one is in?
2. What kind of soil/potting mix can you recommend than I can purchase from a home depot/lowes?

The mature plant already has fruit on it including a few orange ones that I pulled off bagged/froze.  Should I pick the fully grown green ones too, or wait till they turn orange? Will green ones turn orange once picked? Is there a taste difference between the green/orange?

Thanks!!
BT

Attachments

• Datil.jpg
    Datil.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 66
A reply from Datil Land.

1- Go ahead and put them in the final pots.

2- Let 'em go orange, it will only be a day or two.

3- Slight taste variation between green and orange. Green is grassier but still good, orange is sweeter with full flavor.

4- Go with a mixture of perlite, Miracle gro moisture control, and peat moss. Mine are loving this mix.

5- Hey BT...Pick up some "BT" too while your at it to keep those pesky worms away!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

$(KGrHqUOKi8E61yvJ3YWBPrmkT1eE!~~60_35.JPG

Your welcome.

Good luck on your growing. Nice plants BTW.

How long have you been using that mix PepperDaddler? I looked into that awhile back and found several bad reviews, from plants dying in a couple a months in it, to attracting fungus gnats. http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-76151300-Moisture-Control-1-Cubic-Foot/dp/B000BZ1IBE  Maybe it's the peat moss that gets it to where it needs to be.
PepperDaddler said:
A reply from Datil Land.

1- Go ahead and put them in the final pots.

2- Let 'em go orange, it will only be a day or two.

3- Slight taste variation between green and orange. Green is grassier but still good, orange is sweeter with full flavor.

"4- Go with a mixture of perlite, Miracle gro moisture control, and peat moss. Mine are loving this mix."

5- Hey BT...Pick up some "BT" too while your at it to keep those pesky worms away!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

$(KGrHqUOKi8E61yvJ3YWBPrmkT1eE!~~60_35.JPG

Your welcome.

Good luck on your growing. Nice plants BTW.

^  Yes that's correct.  With almost any potting soil you want to add a lot of fine brown material whether it be peat moss, spanish moss, pine needles,  etc.  Peppers hate compacted soil so make sure it's fluffy and only give minimal water until the roots expand some in the new pot to keep the soil from settling as much, then the roots will begin to suspend the soil.

Some of the Amazon reviewers seem to be blaming soil when they just had a random pest outbreak which can happen regardless of soil, though many were probably overwatering.  IF possible always try to let the soil dry out a minimum of 1/2" down before the next watering and 1" is better still. 

If for example they had a habit of daily watering for no particular reason (plants showed no signs of needing that interval), that keeps the soil surface moisture level high enough to invite pests and fungal growth.

About ripeness... I always wait as long as I can bare to - if I am out of fresh peppers.  If not out, I wait until I can harvest a lot at once.  The fewer the # of plants and smaller the yield per plant, the less inconvenient it is to pick more often but IMO, nothing tastes better green than its final ripe color.

Reactions: SL3
Last year I decided to start a garden.

I made a typical small garden with rows and such. I also did some container gardening. I grew every single packet of seeds I could find of varieties of herbs and vegetables from Home Depot, Walmart, Ace, and anywhere else I could find them. There were also your basic peppers like cayenne, bell pepper, and jalapeno. No super hots or exotic varieties yet. I did have some datil plants.

This was a first year, first time kind of thing.

I tried my hand at growing garlic from cloves. I tried to germinate citrus seeds. I saved seeds from green bell peppers from the store (don't try it, it wont work ). I read a ton of books. Anything plant related I was getting into. 

The in ground garden did not do too well after a while and after the six or seventh time pulling weeds I got sick of it. I grew winter crops in the summer and wondered why they never took off. I had no idea what I was doing.

That first year I learned so much.

I learned that I don't like using the ground to put plants in and decided to do all containers this year. I also learned it is a little hard to take care of a ton of different types of plants and herbs that all have different needs, so I decided to do only one type of plant this year. That was peppers. Oh yeah, no more "basic" peppers with the exception of Jalapeno. Mostly supers and wilds and other exotic sorts of varieties this year.

This year was a success. But enough bio, time to answer your question.

SL3 said:
How long have you been using that mix PepperDaddler? I looked into that awhile back and found several bad reviews, from plants dying in a couple a months in it, to attracting fungus gnats. http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-76151300-Moisture-Control-1-Cubic-Foot/dp/B000BZ1IBE  Maybe it's the peat moss that gets it to where it needs to be.

This is an improvement over last year in which I used top soil, MG garden soil, MG container soil, soil from the yard, and whatever else I could find laying around. I had no job and no money so this was the best I could do.

Needless to say, the plants did not do too well last year.

This year I decided to get a little more technical about my soil and while I would have liked to do the whole myco/fish tea sort of thing I consider this to be another learning experience and I think I sort of got it down now. Next year will be even more technical, so maybe I will be ready then.The plants did awesome this year but could have been better I think. I had a late start and did not use any fertilizer at all, next season those are two things that will change.

Two key things about this year that I think helped a lot:

Shade and shade.

I did not need to water as often and the soil stayed moist, but not soggy. I swear I only watered like three times all year, the other times it rained, so I was good on that. I know people say peppers like full sun but I have noticed they flourish in partial shade. So I built a shade house and they all loved it. Just some advice to consider.

Here was the setup. Cheap but effective and it worked VERY well. Pic is from way earlier in the season, about a month after I started I think.

SSPX1140.jpg

The perlite allows some drainage, the peat keeps it fluffy, and the MG helps retain some moisture with the addition of providing some nutes for a while (good for first timers on a budget and time constraint). 

A pretty basic mix which I have found to be very helpful on the water bill and keeping out of the hot sun. It takes a long time to thoroughly water 90 plus pots in the hot ass sun in Florida in July, and starts to suck when you have to do it every single day.

It looks like where you are in Perris, we probably have just about identical climates. All of these things should work for you as well, of course with your own improvements and tweaks.

Hope I helped. Good luck.  :cool:  

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  I potted 3 of the 5 seedlings using the suggested 3-part mix.  I could not find any of the funky thuricide stuff.   :(

I wasn't sure how much water I should put in the new pots, so I put just enough to wet the top 3 or so inches. thinking it will perk in enough.  Should I have soaked the whole thing or ?

One weird thing did happen...there is a tree right behind the spot where I took the picture (hence the shadow)....a squirrel came down to face level and actually growled at me for like 2 minutes. He apparently wasn't happy with what I was doing there.

He better not eat my stuff....

Thanks!
BT

Attachments

• 20131026_125605.jpg
    20131026_125605.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 55
Thanks PepperDaddler

I really was very interested in trying this soil. It just seemed to make since for this hot climate of mine. But then I read those reviews and backed off. I'm glad I now know its working for you. I am going to experiment with it with it on a few of my plants next year. From the looks of things you got it down.

PepperDaddler said:
Last year I decided to start a garden.

I made a typical small garden with rows and such. I also did some container gardening. I grew every single packet of seeds I could find of varieties of herbs and vegetables from Home Depot, Walmart, Ace, and anywhere else I could find them. There were also your basic peppers like cayenne, bell pepper, and jalapeno. No super hots or exotic varieties yet. I did have some datil plants.

This was a first year, first time kind of thing.

I tried my hand at growing garlic from cloves. I tried to germinate citrus seeds. I saved seeds from green bell peppers from the store (don't try it, it wont work ). I read a ton of books. Anything plant related I was getting into. 

The in ground garden did not do too well after a while and after the six or seventh time pulling weeds I got sick of it. I grew winter crops in the summer and wondered why they never took off. I had no idea what I was doing.

That first year I learned so much.

I learned that I don't like using the ground to put plants in and decided to do all containers this year. I also learned it is a little hard to take care of a ton of different types of plants and herbs that all have different needs, so I decided to do only one type of plant this year. That was peppers. Oh yeah, no more "basic" peppers with the exception of Jalapeno. Mostly supers and wilds and other exotic sorts of varieties this year.

This year was a success. But enough bio, time to answer your question.

This is an improvement over last year in which I used top soil, MG garden soil, MG container soil, soil from the yard, and whatever else I could find laying around. I had no job and no money so this was the best I could do.

Needless to say, the plants did not do too well last year.

This year I decided to get a little more technical about my soil and while I would have liked to do the whole myco/fish tea sort of thing I consider this to be another learning experience and I think I sort of got it down now. Next year will be even more technical, so maybe I will be ready then.The plants did awesome this year but could have been better I think. I had a late start and did not use any fertilizer at all, next season those are two things that will change.

Two key things about this year that I think helped a lot:

Shade and shade.

I did not need to water as often and the soil stayed moist, but not soggy. I swear I only watered like three times all year, the other times it rained, so I was good on that. I know people say peppers like full sun but I have noticed they flourish in partial shade. So I built a shade house and they all loved it. Just some advice to consider.

Here was the setup. Cheap but effective and it worked VERY well. Pic is from way earlier in the season, about a month after I started I think.

SSPX1140.jpg

The perlite allows some drainage, the peat keeps it fluffy, and the MG helps retain some moisture with the addition of providing some nutes for a while (good for first timers on a budget and time constraint). 

A pretty basic mix which I have found to be very helpful on the water bill and keeping out of the hot sun. It takes a long time to thoroughly water 90 plus pots in the hot ass sun in Florida in July, and starts to suck when you have to do it every single day.

It looks like where you are in Perris, we probably have just about identical climates. All of these things should work for you as well, of course with your own improvements and tweaks.

Hope I helped. Good luck.  :cool:  

Back