• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Dave's Zesty Blend

No this is not some new offering from the maker of Dave's Gourmet Sauces...This is something that our very own Jon Passow (imaguitargod) traded me for my sauces while he was here at the Firey Foods Show.

First of all, this is not a sauce. Secondly, it looks like powdered peppers and a blend of spices. Thirdly, it tastes like spices are in there... Fourthly (is that a word?) it's a 100% blend of 12 different peppers that are in powder form.

The first time I tried it, I just shook out a little on my hand and licked it. After being at the Firey Foods Show all day, my tounge was a little toasted, but my lips were burning pretty damn good. This stuff has some promise.

The next day we went down to Kelly's http://www.kellysbrewpub.com and tried it on some Green Chile Chicken Soup. WOW!! this stuff added a really nice kick to a really good soup. The pepper flavors were all over the place and I couldn't get enough. I came really close to ordering another bowl of soup so I could have some more of this magical powder. But, we had some drinking to do, and I had to leave space for that!

Well, I had to do some more testing...and test I did!

Next, I put some on my tossed salad one evening. Not a fancy salad, just some iceberg lettuce, some chopped onions, croutons, and my favorite... blue cheese dressing. I just dusted the top of my salad. I didn't want to ruin a classic side dish with too much heat. Well, Dave's Zesty Blend did it again. It took a classic and made it better. The pepper blend pulled the flavors of the raw veggies out and enhanced them. The heat was really toned down, but I'm betting the blue cheese dressing had something to do with that.

Baby back ribs. Well, you don't mess with a classic, but I was destined to find something that this magic pepper blend didn't do well on...and I failed. Once again, I went down to a favorite BBQ joint and got a full rack of baby backs. I almost didn't dust them with the Blend, but I did. I was absolutely amazed. I even brought the owner of the restaurant over to my table to try one. His remarks were as follows: "I thought that after over 40 years selling ribs, nothing could top my BBQ sauce on my baby backs. I have to meet this fellow someday." And there you have it...

Steak. Now here's really messing with a classic. Grilled to a perfect medium-rare...ah you just can't beat that! Well...I did. Before throwing the steaks on my grill, I used Dave's Zesty Blend as a rub, and let it sit while my fire was getting ready. When the fire was nice and hot, on went the steak and up came the aroma of fire grilled chilis. The powder charred nicely. Not too crusty and since it was all peppers, it didn't get gooey, like some spice rubs will get. Once again, I was amazed. This powder did nothing but make a classic meal better. The steak stayed really juicy, and the pepper flavors were all over the place. My mouth was burning...but just a tad. Nothing overwhelming, but it could have been. The steak was pure perfection!

Overall, Dave's Zesty Blend can help any meal. If you want more heat, all you have to do is add more powder. I could see a good sauce made out of these peppers as well, but I think that in powdered form is where it will work best.

Good stuff Jon!!!

GREAT review Lynn! I got your message in a drunken stuppor last night and couldn't make heads or tails of it until this morning.

I love how you tried to ruin classic dishes but kept making them better.

DevilDuck said:
I even brought the owner of the restaurant over to my table to try one. His remarks were as follows: "I thought that after over 40 years selling ribs, nothing could top my BBQ sauce on my baby backs. I have to meet this fellow someday." And there you have it...
:oops: wow, what a compliment!

I will second this review!

I never knew how to properly evaluate this powdered blend of dried peppers but I will say it's excellent and I've tried it on many foods. I may need more soon.

Good stuff!

Good job brother!!! Man, I toss a few blend together here and there too... Sounds like you have it going on... Maybe, we can do a trade someday? Rock on brother.

Primo

DevilDuck said:
Oh..and those ribs were at Powdrell's BBQ.
As in Willie Powdrell's?!?!?! Did you talk with Bryon Powdrell? If so, he's already met me. Tell him I'm the guy who does the Hot Sauce Review and I ate the Naga Morich. He should remember me...I mean, he used me as an example of what the pepper does to people for god's sake. :lol:

Oh...sorry I'm late with this. The Powdrell that was at FFS...yeah, apparently he's a little bastard of a nephew. He has nothing to do with Powdrell's BBQ at all. He's just using the name to get his sauce some "air time". there's a lawsuit going on and everything.

DevilDuck said:
Oh...sorry I'm late with this. The Powdrell that was at FFS...yeah, apparently he's a little bastard of a nephew. He has nothing to do with Powdrell's BBQ at all. He's just using the name to get his sauce some "air time". there's a lawsuit going on and everything.
REALLY?!?!?!? Wow, never knew that. Seemed like a nice dude in person. My radar must be malfunctioning...

DevilDuck said:
Oh, by the way...Tap a little dash is your favorite beer! MMMMmmm Good!
Yep, I did three dashes into the last 1/16 of a pint of beer and drank right on the spot one time. It's like a buckshot blast out of a shotgun. Basically, little dots of peppers over your whole mouth.

Back