• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

De-Salting Sand

If I were to go to a local beach and collect sand to use for a potting soil mix, would the salt content be bad for chile's? Would I need to flush it with water or take other De-Salting steps before it would be safe to use in a soil mix?

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't risk it. You'd be better off buying play sand from a hardware store for a few bucks. It's already cleaned and free of any parasites or whatever else could be in it. Plus, it's fairly cheap. I found 50 lb bags for $4 online.

i agree.. the commercial stuff has already been treated.. If you did decide to proceeded you would need a bunch of water changes to remove the salt.. then air dry all of it for a while to get rid of anything else that might be lurking in there.. or oven dry it long and slow.. so like dustin said.. easier and less work to do the 4.00 bag of commercial stuff

I use river sand. Despite the fact I live next to a sandy river, I bought sand at the home centre because I didn't wanna get arrested.

Use course sand that is generally used for mixing concrete. It is about $2 for a 50 lb bag at Lowes. Why take a risk for something so cheap. Avoid the more expensive, more fine "play sand", course sand works better for draining. Happy growing!

-Mark

Back