• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

De-seeding

If you deseeded a hab and ate it, about how less hot would it be than if it still had the seeds (and surrounding tissue) in?

Is it possible to completely remove all of the placenta from a pepper? I would think in the process of trying to remove the placenta, you would get the "oil" all over the rest of the pepper. The stuff collects on a cutting board when slicing super hots, is what makes me question how much heat you would actually lose from removing it.

FadeToBlack said:
Are you trying to make the pepper less hot?
Yeah... I am. The last time I ate a hab straight up, I was hurting so bad a puked. So I want to make hab poppers that WON'T Kill my tastebuds.

But either way, I deseeded a couple last night and stuffed them with cheese, ate them... no heat whatsoever. in fact the nachos with fresno chunks were a bit hotter than the popper. Must have been the cheese.

Dairy also neutralizes Capsaicin, so that's a factor.

Me, I tend to take out just the seeds and leave the plancenta. It's pretty easy if you have good knife skills and patience.

Two reasons..I don't much like seeds in my food and teeth, and I like saving seeds for planting. :)

If it's something to be cooked awhile like sauces, chilli, stews, etc. Then the seeds don't matter as much.

Seeds can subtly change the flavor of things too. Make two sauces, one with and one without seeds..they'll taste slightly different from the nuttyness of the seeds.

On a dare a year ago, I made a batch of Habanero Poppers, we all ate them and they weren't that hot, we were kinda disappointed. We used to make Jalapeno poppers all the time and some of those, for some reason would blow your head off.

I think that it could be because the walls of the hab are a lot thinner than jalapenos and the deep frying pulled the heat out.

Yeah, I usually bake mine.
Heat can't destroy Capsaicin, a bath in oil might though.

The capsaicin probably will leach off more in oil as it's Anhydrous, i.e. oil-soluable.

I find the placental tissue is much hotter than the actual pepper walls. I've tested this on every kind of pepper that I've grown. Usually I'll cut a little off the bottom to taste the flavor which is usually sweet with a little bit of bite. Then I'll scrape the white ribs to test for heat which usually blows my head off. :mouthonfire:

Great fun. :P

joelwlcx said:
If you deseeded a hab and ate it, about how less hot would it be than if it still had the seeds (and surrounding tissue) in?

no difference cuz seeds dont have any heat! but the placenta that the seeds are attached too have most of the heat.
its a hab with not many seeds, so who cares, leave the seeds in.
its not worth the time & effort & its not much of a difference anyways, just cut'em open & leave everything in them.

FadeToBlack said:
Are you trying to make the pepper less hot?

joelwlcx said:
Yeah... I am. The last time I ate a hab straight up, I was hurting so bad a puked. So I want to make hab poppers that WON'T Kill my tastebuds.

try using different chiles to your heat level that you like, & then maybe work your way up to hab poppers.
you could also use mild chiles for poppers & use small ammounts of hab powder for a ingredient in those poppers to get a certain heat/flavor you like.

I find that with all peppers I've tried the heat gets progressivly worse from the blossom end up to the stem. Mostly due to most of the placenta tissue being up at the top of the pepper.

I was once using this pod that I would cut off every now and then and eat with my food and it was hot but not too bad and i could enjoy it. Then as I got near the stem enf of the pepper one day, I cut off the usuall amount and added it to my food. WHOA!! I had to remove it out of the food and just from it being in there that brief time it was HOT!! And Im a person that loves hot stuff and can deal with a pretty high level of heat.

I know it's not the seeds, but the placental tissue that makes chiles hot, but deseeding is much easier to say and type than removing the placental tissue surrounding the seeds, and you all know what I mean anyways. But anyways, thanks for the input, but I answered my own question, it reduces the heat drasticly(spelling?), almost dissapontingly. and the cheese I put it did alot to reduce the heat too.

Great tasting with nachos those poppers were though...

Back