• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DEA might have to rethink grow tech

When much younger, read a statement by the DEA that claimed it was not economical to grow any lawful crop under lights.  I thought they were a bit off back then.  Maybe not seed to harvest, but surely starting indoors was economical.  Heck, some of the larger tobacco farmers do that here in KY.  But for the most part, they seemed correct.  Until lately that is.

Today, some are predicting indoor food production is the way of the future.  Grow it anywhere in any weather with much less concern about drought, flooding, pests, and other factors.

Very inspiring article in my news feed today.  What do you think?  Are we moving food production indoors under lights?  I kind of wonder why more set ups do not supplement with artificial lights rather than replace the sun.  Maybe because they want better insulation?

https://www.eater.com/2018/7/3/17531192/vertical-farming-agriculture-hydroponic-greens

There is so much of our food raised this way, that it's ridiculous.  How do we think we get tomatoes in the middle of winter?  If you ever look close, many of them come from places like Tennessee, or Canada.  Is lettuce a crop that grows under a blanket of snow?  Further, there is some produce that is not allowed to be imported from foreign countries.  I promise you that we're not growing it all in California and Florida.
The DEA also considers marijuana to be a narcotic.  So, they've pretty much given up any privilege to be found credible in matters that require brains.  They should stick to kicking doors down, and leave science and agriculture to the people who actually know what the hell they are talking about.

b3rnd said:
My country is one of the forerunners on this worldwide. We have huge in-door hydroponics farms all over the place, pretty cool stuff. Here's a cool article from National Geographic on it: 'How the Netherlands Feeds the World'.

There are a lot of Dutch companies growing in the US.  We have a facility near where I live that propagates by tissue culture.  The whole place looks like it's a clean room, out of some science-fiction movie.  Fully automated.  There's probably 12 people running a facility of about 40,000 square feet.

solid7 said:
There is so much of our food raised this way, that it's ridiculous.  How do we think we get tomatoes in the middle of winter?  If you ever look close, many of them come from places like Tennessee, or Canada.  Is lettuce a crop that grows under a blanket of snow?  Further, there is some produce that is not allowed to be imported from foreign countries.  I promise you that we're not growing it all in California and Florida.
The DEA also considers marijuana to be a narcotic.  So, they've pretty much given up any privilege to be found credible in matters that require brains.  They should stick to kicking doors down, and leave science and agriculture to the people who actually know what the hell they are talking about.
They were only saying it so they could kick a few extra doors anyway

If you find yourself in Querétaro, Méjico, look around. There are acres and acres of greenhouses around the city.

This in a climate with plenty of sun, good temperatures and plenty of water outside.

They're using greenhouses for a reason.

Some of the stuff folk mentioned here is amazing.  I had no clue anyone had it going on and making money from it.  Always figured it was about to be economically possible, not it is economically possible.

Back