• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Dead Ferment?

Hey guys. I'm not new to food, and I know how fermentation works (I have several wine and mead recipes that are wonderful). But I am new to hot sauce and lactic fermentation. So lets see how big of an idiot I am.

I started my first attempt four days ago. My mash came out to about a liter. As I mentioned, I brew so I know how to sterilize and have all of the proper equipment. I collected whey from some yogurt and added about a tablespoon to the mash.
So far, no bubbles. Not a one. My brewers instinct tells me its dead. But lactic bacteria is quite different than yeast, so I want to be sure.

Also, I read somewhere that if you have an anaerobic environment, you are better of not using a starter and letting it go naturally. It supposedly has a better flavor and ferments more thoroughly because a starter forces it to skip steps. What do you think? If I don't have to use a starter, I'd rather not.

Don't ask for the recipe, because I spilled mash on it and can't remember the site.

Tough question to answer.

A VERY general rule is: The higher the carb content, the longer the ferment.

An "average" ferment can run 30-45 days; a "heavy carb" ferment can run 60-90 days, or more.

It really depends on the ingredients and the final flavor profile you're looking for. Some folks will stop their ferment after 7 days, some will age for YEARS!

Styrkr said:
Should I just track he pH until it hits the proper level then age to acheive my flavor?

Definitely track pH - IF your pH continues to drop then you can be assured fermenting IS in fact happening. 

I've always gone by the rule that if the ferment is going fine then don't touch it till your ready to process it. If your opening it once a month or every 2 weeks then that's a very dangerous time as you've released te protective CO2 layer and it has to be replaced. If your nearing the end of the ferment then the activity of the LAB could be so low that it doesn't get replaced.

So still nothing. It looks the same as it did on day one. Maybe more pale, not really sure. But there is no change in consistency or anything else. No CO2 output, never bubbled, nothing. Its been a month so what should I do?

Sure would be helpful to SEE this ferment. Also, try to recall all the ingredients you used. It might help folks help you better.

In absence of above, I'd say process this puppy.

Rough count says this ferment is 45 days old. I'd open it up, smell it, test the pH, and if OK, move on into finishing it..

I'll get a picture when I get home tonight. As far as ingredients, it has a few scotch bonnets, a couple of red Chile's, a couple jalapeños, a bag of frozen cranberries, a carrot, a tomato, and some fresh mint, rosemary, spices, and thyme. I don't remember the measurements off of the top of my head. I have it in a 1 liter glass bottle. All of my fermenting equipment is waiting to be shipped in so I went with a balloon-like airlock setup. Its really redneck, but does what its supposed to. Keeps air out and allows CO2 to pass. Everything is sterile, as I said I'm not new to fermenting, just to sauce.
I want to test the pH but I don't own a tester can can't really buy one right now.
I'm just really confused because it showed no signs of fermenting, but also does not look contaminated. No mold, slime, nothing.

Hawaiianero said:
Got me curious about the balloon-like air lock. Can you explain a little more?
Love redneck technology!!
A basic balloon lock is simply a balloon fastened over the top of the container. The balloon's elasticity allows for the CO2 without the bottle exploding. I didn't have a balloon so I used a plastic baggie. The bottle is lipped so that coupled with the rubber bands form a nice seal. Zip ties work too. The baggie isn't elastic so you punch a small hole in the top once it starts to fill. CO2 will be pressurizing the bottle, and will escape enough through the hole to prevent over-pressurizing but not enough to let air in. If you don't punch a hole, make sure to purge some CO2 once in a while to prevent the bag from popping.
It's not the best method, but if you're in a pinch and have no airlock available, it works.

Been really busy and hadn't gotten around to taking a pic. Anyway, here is the best one I could get.

IMG_20141010_092458_678_1.jpg

Well don't see any nasties have you been swirling the mash mixture looks like some bubbles near the top can you smell anything from the airlock. Mine was working very slowly but I did get that sweet ferment smell not a ton of action in jar have you noticed any separation in the levels of the mash. Have seen this in many post happened in mine. Just trying to gauge how much activity in your ferment
1j8bd2.jpg

You can see it at the bottom of jar was slow moving but smells fantastic don't give up hope looks good. :)

Back