• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Dedo De Moca/cinnamon taste?

I grew them the past couple years, I cant exactly put a finger on the taste as my tastebuds dont exactly register cinnamon and maybe if they did it would be so slight I guess I dont really notice.  But it does have a unique flavor I dont get with other peppers. 

Its a great plant, high yield.  I mostly like it for that reason alone. 

cheers

Buzzman19 said:
I grew them the past couple years, I cant exactly put a finger on the taste as my tastebuds dont exactly register cinnamon and maybe if they did it would be so slight I guess I dont really notice.  But it does have a unique flavor I dont get with other peppers. 

Its a great plant, high yield.  I mostly like it for that reason alone. 

cheers

Sounds like a keeper.

We have a local Greek recipe chili (Cincinnati Chili) that adds cinnamon as one of the unique spices. I'm hoping for good results from testing the Dedo De Moca as an alternate chili pepper. Just another one of many new peppers to test this coming season. I definitely have the new pepper grow bug.

Dan Piepho said:

Sounds like a keeper.

We have a local Greek recipe chili (Cincinnati Chili) that adds cinnamon as one of the unique spices. I'm hoping for good results from testing the Dedo De Moca as an alternate chili pepper. Just another one of many new peppers to test this coming season. I definitely have the new pepper grow bug.
 Hi ,
I am starting to grow these .
How did they turn out for you , Dan Piepho ?
Or anybody else?

I grew them a few years ago with good results. Their flavor didn't put me in mind of cinnamon, but I can see how it might come across that way for some folks. Everybody's different... I love the green, spicy taste of cilantro but my sister says it tastes like soap to her.

stickman said:
I grew them a few years ago with good results. Their flavor didn't put me in mind of cinnamon, but I can see how it might come across that way for some folks. Everybody's different... I love the green, spicy taste of cilantro but my sister says it tastes like soap to her.
Thank you,
Will be a long wait.
Cinnamon taste will probably be a late development. I believe full pepper ripeness only happens about five days after the full color change.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

karoo said:
Thank you,
Will be a long wait.
Cinnamon taste will probably be a late development. I believe full pepper ripeness only happens about five days after the full color change.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I actually did taste the cinnamon flavor in the ones I grew last year  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:

Eating fresh was reminiscent of Hot Tamales candy, if you've ever had them.

And as said above it has a great yield of fruit.

Great flavor, great yield, you can't go wrong.

I have a "seeds I have" list. I make no pretence of knowing which of them I'm going to end up growing 'cause it all comes down to which I feel like when the season starts.

Probably not the best method but it's the best I can manage. Just wish I hadn't gotten so into the quest for a true breeding Enjoya this year.

karoo said:
 Hi ,
I am starting to grow these .
How did they turn out for you , Dan Piepho ?
Or anybody else?

No ripe pods yet. You'll be sure to hear if I get a cinnamon flavor from them. I started two plants, giving second to my son. Testing flavors with different soils to further the chance of a cinnamon taste.

Back