Deep Fried Turkey

I am deep frying a turkey this year and I am looking for some ideas for seasonings. I have fried a few before but used basic injections - I dont want a creol rub or seasoning and nothing to spicy ( family) I have read a few marinade ideas or buy your favorite bottle marinade and inject. I thought of brining as well -

Any suggestions?

Haha yeah for sure, I have always wondered what a deep fat fried turkey tastes like. No matter how you season it I am sure it will be amazing.

I think rubs and marinades are a bad idea for deep fried turkeys. Other than salt which is a rock, they just burn. IMO brine and injections are the way to go.

I have seen a few recipes for Cajun spice rubs and others but I, like you, think it will burn and nastify - I may just stick with the basics - A fried turkey IS AMAZING - the reason more or less to do it this way is my sons High School Playoff/Thanksgiving football game and the time we will have to eat after (dont want to wait forever) - its one busy day !!!

The reason they are so moist is when submerged in oil moisture cannot escape. Everyone that has done one says they are the best they've ever had. It's easy to dry one out in the oven with all the different thicknesses of meat in different areas. You have to tie the bird up good so it acts like one piece of meat, but you will still have areas that will cook faster. Deep frying is the way to go.

Make a compound butter and put it under the skin.

Put the bird in the pot and fill with water until bird is covered. Remove the bird and mark the water line. This is how much oil to put in. Fires start because people put too much oil and it overflows.

Cheers.

Put the bird in the pot and fill with water until bird is covered. Remove the bird and mark the water line. This is how much oil to put in. Fires start because people put too much oil and it overflows.
This is THE most important step. Also, the oil should remain constant at 350 degrees, so you can't just drop in the bird and walk away, as the temperature has to be constantly monitored. A CO2 extinguisher should be nearby as well.

I've been frying turkeys for years, and I still hear stories about people forgetting to remove the gut bag.

Back