• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests deficiency? pest?

underside shots:

HcmJq2S.jpg

CqCHbb0.jpg

wNjDPwa.jpg

ok, bonus round!

here is plant #2, an indoor shishito that i recently topped and transplanted into MG potting mix.

N6tZaMV.jpg

some leaves had a bit of spottiness to them, but not necrotic like the other plant:

FHYgNyO.jpg

but there was one older leaf that was particularly weird looking. i was hoping it was just some kind of physical trauma:

Q9iZZxK.jpg

but now new growth looks funky:

ufAdJ17.jpg

so what do you think? calcium deficiency?
if so, should dyna-grow FP feedings fix it, or should i specifically supplement with something else?

I don't see any edema, so definitely not that. Likely a lack of one nute or another. Someone else will have better advice than me when it comes to nutes.

Chili said:
That being said.. take this suggestion with a grain of salt. I've never personally dealt with INSV so I can't accurately diagnose it. You can however buy strips from a company called agdia that can confirm the case.

it does look a lot like INSV..

https://orders.agdia.com/agdia-immunostrip-for-insv-isk-20501

very cool.

it's not worth $50 to me though (smallest qty is 5 test strips for $50)

i'll keep it separated from the other plants just in case it's INSV, and hopefully bugs don't spread it.

sinensis said:
hi friends

BANyytC.jpg

these are translucent, dead spots on the leaves. there is some leaf drop as well.
i have a few other peppers potted in the same media at the same time, and none of them have this issue.
thoughts?

thanks

I have similar situation on some of my plants and would like to know if this need treating with something? Mine are not as severe, only few top leaves affected on couple of plants.

Is it a virus or something else? I read the thread but missed conclusive answer (if any).

Honey Badger said:

I have similar situation on some of my plants and would like to know if this need treating with something? Mine are not as severe, only few top leaves affected on couple of plants.

Is it a virus or something else? I read the thread but missed conclusive answer (if any).

I don't think the THP community came to a consensus on the specific issue here.  But if you follow the other thread started by the OP, it looks like they're giving a detailed description of their solutions.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/68854-noob-journey-q-a-sips-media-seedlings/

DontPanic said:

I don't think the THP community came to a consensus on the specific issue here.  But if you follow the other thread started by the OP, it looks like they're giving a detailed description of their solutions.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/68854-noob-journey-q-a-sips-media-seedlings/

I suspect in my case must be a bit of overfeeding. I eased off for a bit and they seem to be doing better. Also, I noticed leaf curling relaxed as if the plants were in constant constipation due to too much fertilising.

Last week I only gave them water to flush them out and they are doing much better.

It is better to underfeed a bit that overfeed. If you underfeed them a little they will still grow and produce good, however overfeeding most likely might stop the growing all together or even kill the plant in the end.

Chilidude said:
It is better to underfeed a bit that overfeed. If you underfeed them a little they will still grow and produce good, however overfeeding most likely might stop the growing all together or even kill the plant in the end.

Easier said than done but I totally concur.

I may give it a bit of feed towards the end of the month, no sooner than that.

I'll only water if I see them droop.

So far, all my plants are doing fine. Couple are loaded with pods, others are in full bloom. Some are dropping few flowers but plenty left on. In a week or two I shall have my first harvest of ripe Cayenne.

Honey Badger said:

Easier said than done but I totally concur.

I may give it a bit of feed towards the end of the month, no sooner than that.

I'll only water if I see them droop.

So far, all my plants are doing fine. Couple are loaded with pods, others are in full bloom. Some are dropping few flowers but plenty left on. In a week or two I shall have my first harvest of ripe Cayenne.
Perhaps try feeding them with every other watering.

Chilidude said:
Perhaps try feeding them with every other watering.

In my case is not as easy as that. I try to water when individual plant seem to need it and generally those in smaller pots dry out sooner, so they get water, others, in larger pots wait. 

I will deny food to all of them for two or three weeks, I'm sure they';ll be alright. I inspected them briefly this morning and they looked quite happy to me.

well, the plant recovered on its own. new growth is unaffected, so i think it was not a virus after all. it's nice to not see evidence of that around here. one less thing to worry about. also, i don't think any of my neighbors grow vegetables, so that probably helps.

hD2NSrC.jpg

Back