seeds Deformed Seedling?

This is my chocolate fatalii seedling. It's been a fighter since day 1. It's almost died on me multiple times due to high temps, lack of water, etc. all is well now, but ever since this seedling has popped up it's looked droopy. I know it's not because of watering, because it wilted yesterday and after I watered it, it perked back up. But these cotyledon's are still screwed up.

I think at some point in it's life I overwatered, as the tip of the droopiest coty is brown.

You're fine. Some of mine did/are doing the same thing and have grown perfectly well. I do have one, which I think is some kind of bhut, that is growing strangely crooked, but I don't remember the seedling looking abnormal.

Dave2000 said:
 I'm wondering if it needs some 1/4 strength fertilizer.
Just to clarify - no fertilizer yet. The two cotyledons' entire purpose is to feed the developing plant until its roots and true leaves can feed it. No fertilizer is needed until the cotyledons shrivel up and fall off. Providing fertilizer at this point will most likely kill it entirely.  Typically "almost died" at this point is from lack of sufficient moisture. It can be hard, especially for new growers, to find that fine balance of "just moist enough", as overwatering can kill it just as underwatering can with a plant so young. 

geeme said:
Just to clarify - no fertilizer yet. The two cotyledons' entire purpose is to feed the developing plant until its roots and true leaves can feed it. No fertilizer is needed until the cotyledons shrivel up and fall off. Providing fertilizer at this point will most likely kill it entirely.  Typically "almost died" at this point is from lack of sufficient moisture. It can be hard, especially for new growers, to find that fine balance of "just moist enough", as overwatering can kill it just as underwatering can with a plant so young. 
boom

geeme said:

The cotyledon provide energy but not nutrients needed to grow the first true leaves.  "Normally" there is enough present in the soil but in cases of poor soil nutrient level you're not going to get true leaves very quickly... this is why you can't just grow sprouts well in water, that the nutrients matter right away.

Yes you can kill a sprout by giving it too much fertilizer, but if it  isn't being watered too much, temperature isn't bad, no pest, bacterial or fungal damage present and is receiving enough light, then nutrient level is the remaining major factor in slow growth.  Keep in mind the recommendation was following a question of how old it is, because to almost die several times would usually imply a several days old sprout at a minimum. 

Providing a low level of fertilizer certainly won't kill new sprouts.  I used to use Miracle Grow starter mix where they purposefully add fertilizer and had fine results, merely ceasing to use it because I found a more cost effective home made mix that also wets better than the almost entirely peat moss MG mix.

Back