• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Dehydrating Peppers in High Humidity

I’m ready to start dehydrating some peppers and my family is none too pleased. I usually do this indoors but they do not appreciate the aroma. My question is can I do this outside? I’m in Georgia and the relative humidity is about 75%. Does anybody think this would cause any problems?

I too, have to dry outdoors for the same reason. And yes the high humidity can be a problem. Usually the ground powder is too clumpy. Sometimes I think some varieties are just excess oily and will always have some clumping. I dry at around 105 to 110 degrees F and anywhere from 24 to 48 hours usually with some breaks in between for the dehydrator.

Austin has an average morning humidity for June, July, and August of around 85%. The afternoon average for the same period is 45-55%. I am certainly not an expert at dehydrating and hopefully others will respond to your question. Before I grind into powders or flakes I like them, the peppers to feel crispy not to bendy. The pods are sliced to facilitate a more thourough drying.

I would absolutly recommend you try it, but hopefully your dehydrator will be covered or protected from any elements if you leave it unattended.

Good luck, Mike

I've been drying some down in the basement for the past few days. It's been working pretty good. The humidity stays at around 50% so they have been coming out just about crispy.
I've found that if after grinding into powder it still seems a little moist and clumping I can spread it out on a paper plate and put it back in my ghetto dehydrator and dry it a little more.

With the high humidity we've been having here lately I don't know how well it would work outdoors. I guess all you can do is try and see how they come out.

Best of luck, Robert

If it's not going to rain I'd point a fan at them to speed up the process. When they get as dried out as they're going to outside, you might consider then finishing them up in the food dehydrator or oven when the family is out of the house for a few hours.

Hey Lawrenceville! Yea you can dry em outside.
I dont see why not,,you may just have to dry them a bit longer,,I set my dryer at 95F and cut the pods,,several days even indoors!
They do dry till crispy! dont stop until they are brittle.

:cool:
Kevin

I too live in a very humid region (Jackson, MS) and I discovered drying in the attic! I wrap groups of 5 or so peppers together by the stems with rubberbands and place them in a lidded wicker basket. Hang them from the rafters and viola. A quick temp reading puts the attic at just below 150 degrees.

Thoughts, has anyone else tried this?

Back