misc Dehydrating Peppers.

I am in the process of Drying my Peppers in a Dehydrator. I hear of talk here about "Gassing the House" when cooking Peps for sauce. Will I experience the same with drying so many? Should I dry in the basement?

I have 4 full racks of different heat ranges.

I just dehydrated 6 racks of Red Habaneros in my kitchen. It was my first time drying peppers and though there was a nice aroma, I did not experience any problems with the vapor.

The harder part for me is knowing when to stop. Some still seem to have some viscous oil in them. The manual says they should be like leather, but am worried about too much moisture content vs. too dried out.

c

I just dehydrated 6 racks of Red Habaneros in my kitchen. It was my first time drying peppers and though there was a nice aroma, I did not experience any problems with the vapor.

The harder part for me is knowing when to stop. Some still seem to have some viscous oil in them. The manual says they should be like leather, but am worried about too much moisture content vs. too dried out.

c

Nice, 6 racks of Habs. What temp did you go with?

I have been banned from the house when I process any of my pods...

c

No such thing as too dry!!
there is too hot!!

I dry mine in a spare bedroom and the aroma smells nice , but doesnt ever run my wife or kid out!

:cool:
Kevin

I've found that 100-105F will keep the chiles at a nice color. More than that temp and the pods tend to darken up.

If the smell gets too much for you, you could always do this.

Thanks for all the replies, so far so good. I can deff smell the aroma. It smells soooo good! Now I can start planning for the next step, Powder!

I'm glad I found this site. Every year I would keep as many peppers I could eat then give some away or try to air dry some( that never worked out) with all of the wealth of knowledge and kindness everyone here has bestowed upon thee, I kinda feel all warm inside!

Keep eating them peppers, and you'll be feeling warm "all over", not just inside. ;)

There's lots of threads about grinding chiles. Use the search feature when you're ready for that. BTW, did you click on the link I posted? The underlined word is a link to another thread. :)

Have Fun!

I dry mine in a basement just to keep counters free. There is a nice aroma but not hot like cooking down peppers. I only made the mistake once in cooking down a mass amount of habs and clearing the first floor. I treat drying peppers like smoking, slow and low.

dried_peppers.png

Back