• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Dehydrating Seeds

I have been splitting my peppers and dehydrating them as they ripen. I then want to take use the seeds for next batch. Has anybody had any issues with dhydrating the seeds?

No much experience, but I dehydrated some Aji Amarillos at 105 degrees and then did a germination test. The seeds popped and are growing just fine.

When you split the peppers, take the seeds out and set them on a paper plate or something and let them air dry. If you dehydrate at too high a temperature it will kill the seeds.

When you split the peppers, take the seeds out and set them on a paper plate or something and let them air dry. If you dehydrate at too high a temperature it will kill the seeds.
I agree that too high a temp will kill the seeds!
But I dehydrate all my seeds in the pod with great results as far as viability!
at no higher than 95F.

Kevin

That is what I was afraid of, I have an old dehydrator and it gets pretty warm. Live and learn I guess.

I tried the seeds anyways and I am not getting any to germinate, so I think they are dead. Does anybody have some Bhut Jolokia seeds they would be interested in selling me?

I have an envelope with seeds from red bhuts and yellow bhuts that hit the cutting board on the same day last season. If you want the mix let me know.

I have an envelope with seeds from red bhuts and yellow bhuts that hit the cutting board on the same day last season. If you want the mix let me know.
Justaguy - that would be great! How many seeds do you have? I was also looking at your web site and find the Tongue Wrapper an interesting mix that I would like to try. I will buy a bottle of that and the seeds. Let me know how much and how you receive payments.

Thanks

Back