• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Desert Pepper Trading Co

I just came back from the market with a new find. I found a new salsa there that I had to try. I'm sure that it's not new, but new to our store, our usually wimpy store. So I ran home and tried it. This salsa from Desert Pepper Trading Company is their XXX Fire-Roasted Habanero Salsa and WOW! This stuff was great!!! Now keep in mind that where I live the typical salsas are from Frito Lay or Pace:( This was totally the opposite of those other typical store salsas. It had a real good flavor, a tomato, fruity taste with a nice after burn. It was hot, but not knee jerking, tear shedding hot. Just a pleasant burn that lasted longer than expected. I even checked out their web site at www.desertpepper.com and found that they have other interesting salsas that I want to try.

DSCF2360.jpg

DSCF2359.jpg

I've never had their salsas, but I'd stay away from their XXX hot sauce. Very salty, and not very hot...

Pace is my standard sauce, but only because it is the hottest one up here. I've had great salsas in restaurants - enough to make me wonder why the mass produced ones are so far behind on flavour. Had lunch at a Mexican chain restaurant today, and both the red and green table salsas were great.

I've had those, not too shabby.

Hot Canuck said:
I've never had their salsas, but I'd stay away from their XXX hot sauce. Very salty, and not very hot...

Pace is my standard sauce, but only because it is the hottest one up here. I've had great salsas in restaurants - enough to make me wonder why the mass produced ones are so far behind on flavour. Had lunch at a Mexican chain restaurant today, and both the red and green table salsas were great.

The XXX hot sauce used to say it way 10mg sodium per teaspoon. I saw some the other day that now says 205 mg sodium per teaspoon. I called the company that distributes this stuff (El Paso Co.) and they couldn't give me any immediate info on the sodium of that sauce. I really needed to know since I am on a salt restricted diet and trying to find some good low salt sauces. They advised me they are no longer distributing this sauce from the maker in Costa Rica due to the lack of quality control and info from the company in Costa Rica. So this sauce has seen it's last days unless someone else picks it up.

The salsa's are good as is the White Bean Dip!!!

Back