• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv: Someday, I'll get this right, South Tejas Growing

Well I'm way behind this season. Hopefully I can do better....no guarantees!

I'm still trying to figure out this "new normal", my brother said it took him a full year.

Any way:

Last year, could be the year before as they all seem to meld together now :rolleyes:  I cleared the Crepe Myrtle trees that were invading the garden root-wise. That spot WAS the original garden 31 years ago.

12.jpg

Now that area looks like this:

21.jpg

I added 600 square feet to the garden, the soil is pretty darned saweet! Back then I added 16 yards of Black Gumbo to help with the drainage. Then LB wanted a pool, which is now gone. Garden reclaimed! The goal is to have a crop rotation so we can keep diseases at bay, as I mainly used the 1,600 sf fenced area for night shades.

During the off season I made some Bio Char. I need to take pics of the new kiln I made, that will come later.

Crunched char. I use the tractor to crush it on the driveway, it's laid on an old sheet to make it easier to pick up.

13.jpg

I use the old chipper-shredder to grind it. First I wet it so the dust isn't an issue.

15.jpg

14.jpg

Then I grind all this, and this is just a sample of what gets ground.

16.jpg

Then it rests here until we add it to the soil.

41.jpg

Thanks all! That's a lot of years of making beach sand grow ;)

Now to figure out the rest of the pics after talking to my secluded, and really nervous 85 year old Mom. She always blows my brain up!

She lives Sc. alone; a pic from her front window:

61.jpg

Ok, trying to focus..

This is the East side of the garden, outside the wind fence. Gals are in 15 gal bags, except the two smaller pots.

22.jpg

Now I have to remember the plant names....glad I made a spreadsheet this year. But? Is it correct, uh, probably not?

Okies: 

Haskorea: seeds PtMd989. Thanks Bryan, I'm excited to see how these turn out! And I hear Bhuter was involved?

23.jpg

24.jpg

First pod ;)

Aji Arnaucho:

25.jpg

Goat's Weed Pepper: Seeds from PaulG AKA the pepper enabler (soo fitting) Thanks Paul!

26.jpg

CaneDog said:
Sure seems like the "someday" you'll get this right is right now!  Fantastic job with your garden!

Looking forward to more pics as the plants progress - hope you can avoid the posting bug!
Hah! You know better, it's never good enough...

But thanks, really! A lot of time there, it kept me sane the last few years (like 30) ;)

+1 everybody. Your garden space and resources look awesome, Scott.

I am so jealous of your garden space! It would be more than I can
handle, anyway. Sour Grapes  :lol:

PaulG said:
+1 everybody. Your garden space and resources look awesome, Scott.

I am so jealous of your garden space! It would be more than I can
handle, anyway. Sour Grapes  :lol:
Thanks!

The garden space is huge, and it's my sanity. That and I have LB. She keeps it looking good, helps water, does most of the picking. And she processes most of it. I do the grunt work ;)

Back