• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DF 2022 Glog

First bunch of seeds, hope for a better year, probably end up with indoor/outdoor grow since I had the best results inside last year, as long as their not attacked.

HMQE5003_Seeds-1000.jpg

VYBH1861_Seeds-1000.jpg

Hope so, will start slow since I dont know what the weather will be.
Weekend supposed to be +7c, nuts, -27 right now heading to -38c tonight.

A bit of a generic question maybe, but is there a difference between "regular" bhut jolokia and "assam"?

Origin of Bhut Jolokia:

The chili originated from the state of Assam, which is situated in the north eastern region of India. Along with tea cultivation, Assam’s topography also supports ghost chili cultivation. The temperature ranges between 20 to 30 degrees between day and night, and the humidity is around 70% perfect for ghost chili.

I have a feeling that this was a bit of a dumb question...😳
Not at all. friend. There are so many names
for bhut jolokias it's hard to keep track. Bih-,
Naga- are just a couple of the 'prefixes'. I surmise
a lot of it is due to naming of local varieties
and variants, but I am just sort of guessing.

Last edited:
A small rant (sorry DF)
Like "Aji" is the Peruvian word for chilli pepper, "jolokia" is Assamese for the same. Bhut Jolokia should translate from Assamese as Bhutanese chilli pepper but the word for ghost is also written similarly as "bhut" hence the ghost pepper moniker (essentially a mistranslation). The same pepper is also called "bih" jolokia which translates as poison pepper. These peppers are grown in North East India (of which Assam and Nagaland are states) hence Naga Jolokia is yet another name for the same pepper.

The naga morich is allegedly a different variety from Bangladesh but I personally doubt this - that area (North East India and Northern Bangladesh) was all one country pre-1947 and I don't think drawing a border between India and Bangladesh created a new pepper. The Dorset Naga was grown out from seeds bought in an Asian shop in England and then sent for testing in France to be classified as it's own variety and trademarked. It's not like the developers tramped the hills of Bangladesh searching for rare peppers and I don't believe that the French went to India and Bangladesh to source local peppers to compare against.

I think people have picked up seeds from peppers originating in India and Bangladesh over the years and grown out specific traits and named the peppers differently to sell them. The reality is that they're probably all very similar - Bhut, Bih, Naga, Snake, Ghost and all.

Last edited:
If those are the ones I sent you DF, a woman at my community garden brought them with her from Hamadan, Iran when she came to the U.S. Said they were her hometown's pepper. I'd agree it's along the lines of urfa type peppers. A bit smaller and skinnier though. No perceptible heat. No idea what the name really is, so I just called it by city and color.

Back