• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

diagnosis please

I have got a TS plant that is yellowing and the new leaves are curling and puffy, but not yellow. It started a tiny pepper after the flower fell out of the bud yesterday and today the whole bud fell off, very depressing. Any and all expertise is greatly appreciated
2011-05-06_195613.jpg

2011-05-06_195621-1.jpg

2011-05-06_195632-1.jpg

I had the same troubles posting pictures. sign up for a www.photobucket.com account up load your pictures. then you will be able to use a link from photobucket to the (insert image URL) in the post editor. hope that helped in some way.

pauly

I had the same troubles posting pictures. sign up for a www.photobucket.com account up load your pictures. then you will be able to use a link from photobucket to the (insert image URL) in the post editor. hope that helped in some way.

pauly

i use photo bucket as well and if u jsut copy the code from the get link part for full size forum then u can jsut paste it right in the message area on the reply no need to even use the editor/insert image button as the generated caode is already tagged correctly

2011-05-06_195632.jpg
I have got a TS plant that is yellowing and the new leaves are curling and puffy, but not yellow. It started a tiny pepper after the flower fell out of the bud yesterday and today the whole bud fell off, very depressing. I would post pictures but apparently I am more computer challenged than I thought I was. So, any info on how to post pics and how to save my plants would be appreciated. I have looked through the help files but haven't really found anything.

i jsut took out the extra *http* in yer link

How long has it been potted up in the big bucket and what are you using for potting mix\? What do your other plants look like? That's awful small to be starting pods and they will drop off when they are that small easily.

How long has it been potted up in the big bucket and what are you using for potting mix\? What do your other plants look like? That's awful small to be starting pods and they will drop off when they are that small easily.
It has been in the big bucket since monday night, I have everything potted in FoxFarms soil(read everything that was in it and it seemed like a really good soil). I have three other plants that are getting their second sets of leaves that are in the same stuff and they are doing great, and color is really good. I got that particular plant from alabamajack, as well as a bhut plant that looks about the same, and was told they needed some food was all so monday night they got a half dose worth of the foxfarms big bloom feed. I figured they were a little small to be podding out but just wanted to make sure, seeing as how this is my inaugural season and all.

My douglah looks just like that almost, i think i might have been overwatering/overfert, and also its been getting its ass kicked by the wind lol. Thats my guess for my situation anyways. I am very curious what your problem could be, and i hope you figure it out soon.

That plant is suffering from a build up of salts from an overuse of hyrdoponic nutrients not being absorbed by the plant. Peppers are very simple plants and need very little in the way of nutrients, just a small dose a once a month should be more than enough to grow healthy pepper plants. I know Alabamajack is selling his plants on craigslist for $8 a pop and he has 1,500+ to get rid of and that is the best he could find? You need to do your best to try to save more leaves from turning yellow andf falling off, yellow means the plant is not taking in photosynthesis and is starting to die. I would move to indirect sunlight and flush or water really well with the fox farm soil and not water again till it's bone dry to get the roots spread out in your new dirt and new green growth on top. Ronnie not criticizing your plant starts but there seems to be a lot of lower leaf loss and yellowing, something is not right with your program this season and probably shouldn't be selling sickly plants. I know you are a better grower than that, good luck trwoolsey07 with your first year crop.

I appreciate the extensive diagnosis and instructions PRF. The plants actually looked better than this when I got them, which is why I posted the topic(I figured I was doing something very wrong). And to answer Potawie's question, Yes the roots were nice and white when i did the transplant. Guess these guys will be going under the covered patio and getting a hard water when I get home and then no more until the soil is very dry.

The bloom booster fertilizer didn't help. That stuff is used when the plant starts to bloom big time not just one or two. A plant that size I would be pinching the buds. Good luck with the flush and repotting.

That plant is suffering from a build up of salts from an overuse of hyrdoponic nutrients not being absorbed by the plant. Peppers are very simple plants and need very little in the way of nutrients, just a small dose a once a month should be more than enough to grow healthy pepper plants. I know Alabamajack is selling his plants on craigslist for $8 a pop and he has 1,500+ to get rid of and that is the best he could find?

Ronnie not criticizing your plant starts but there seems to be a lot of lower leaf loss and yellowing, something is not right with your program this season and probably shouldn't be selling sickly plants. I know you are a better grower than that, good luck trwoolsey07 with your first year crop.
That Bhut was in the original poster's possession for probably a week or more, under unknown conditions, was potted up into a "hot" soil mix five days ago with extra fertilizer added, and you're going to blame the original seller without knowing the rest of the background info? Unless of course bashing another plant seller was your intention all along...

trwoolsey07 if it's any consolation, i potted up some of my bhut's into Fox Farms ocean forest about a month ago knowing full well it was a hot mix. A week later i gave some 1/2 strength ferts (espoma tomato-tone) and my leaves imediateley started yellowing and later began falling off, just like yours. I could have triple-flushed the potting soil but Bhut's hate sopping wet soil as much as they do fertilizer, so i repotted with 1/2 Fox Farms and 1/2 Coco Choir. The plants are now well in the rebound stage with new green growth but looking bare at the bottom because those leaves fell off.

Good luck either way.

That Bhut was in the original poster's possession for probably a week or more, under unknown conditions, was potted up into a "hot" soil mix five days ago with extra fertilizer added, and you're going to blame the original seller without knowing the rest of the background info? Unless of course bashing another plant seller was your intention all along of course...

trwoolsey07 if it's any consolation, i potted up some of my bhut's into Fox Farms ocean forest about a month ago knowing full well it was a hot mix. A week later i gave some 1/2 strength ferts (espoma tomato-tone) and my leaves imediateley started yellowing and later began falling off, just like yours. I could have triple-flushed the potting soil but Bhut's hate sopping wet soil as much as they do fertilizer, so i repotted with 1/2 Fox Farms and 1/2 Coco Choir. The plants are now well in the rebound stage with new green growth but looking bare at the bottom because those leaves fell off.

Good luck with either way.
Thank you very much Jetchuka! Looks like I will be going to the nursery instead to get some coco. I also went ahead and did a chlorine test on my tap water to see what the levels were like, and wouldn't you know it, they are sitting in the ideal range for a swimming pool! since I figured this would be the case, I just went ahead and got 6 gallons of natural spring water to water with for a while. Thanks again for the info, since you are familiar with the soil I'm using.

Thank you very much Jetchuka! Looks like I will be going to the nursery instead to get some coco. I also went ahead and did a chlorine test on my tap water to see what the levels were like, and wouldn't you know it, they are sitting in the ideal range for a swimming pool! since I figured this would be the case, I just went ahead and got 6 gallons of natural spring water to water with for a while. Thanks again for the info, since you are familiar with the soil I'm using.
No problem, and sorry about being a little terse in my last post, believe when i say that it wasn't meant for you.

Swimming pool range? Haha.

Meant to also say, if you are repotting then i would go real easy on the roots of a stressed plant. Don't shake the rootball much, or at all. But before all of that you may want to set the plant in a dark cool/cold area where it'll become semi-dormant. Afterwards you can repot it then leave it in that same cool area for another day, or day and a half. Then bring it back outside in a mostly shaded area, or with dappled sun underneath a bush for another couple of days. If you see the leaves drooping heavily then move it into deeper shade and check to see it it needs water. All of this will give the roots time to settle in and begin growing again. Sounds like a bit much? Maybe, but it'll increase your chance of success on an already sensitive plant (Bhut) that has nearly been poisoned :P

As for the coco choir, certain brands can have some excess salt. You can fix that by flushing it out thoroughly, enough to have water draining out of it, then you can squeeze out some more excess water because the stuff is like a sponge. You can dry it off further by mixing it with some dry Fox Farms potting soil. You can probably go as light as 1/3 coco in your mix and still make a difference.

Let us know how it works out :)

You can get your coco coir at PetSmart or PetCo much cheaper than a nursery. It comes in brick form and loose. I go with the brick myself. Add 3.5 gallons of the hottest water you can get out of your tap to the brick in a five gallon bucket and wait for an hour then get something to stir it up with and mix it well. Good luck!

You can get your coco coir at PetSmart or PetCo much cheaper than a nursery. It comes in brick form and loose. I go with the brick myself. Add 3.5 gallons of the hottest water you can get out of your tap to the brick in a five gallon bucket and wait for an hour then get something to stir it up with and mix it well. Good luck!
I'll vouch for the Petco/Zoo-Med 3-pack bricks, those are the ones i use. I could be wrong but i don't think they are overloaded with salt, either that or i've been really lucky so far.

The brick expands so much that it's almost hard to believe.

For seedling-only mixes i like to soak it with neem oil, hydrogen peroxide and mosquito dunk water. Just to stay ahead of the nasties that seedlings are sensitive to. Established plant don't need all of that extra attention of course.

No problem, and sorry about being a little terse in my last post, believe when i say that it wasn't meant for you.

Swimming pool range? Haha.

Meant to also say, if you are repotting then i would go real easy on the roots of a stressed plant. Don't shake the rootball much, or at all. But before all of that you may want to set the plant in a dark cool/cold area where it'll become semi-dormant. Afterwards you can repot it then leave it in that same cool area for another day, or day and a half. Then bring it back outside in a mostly shaded area, or with dappled sun underneath a bush for another couple of days. If you see the leaves drooping heavily then move it into deeper shade and check to see it it needs water. All of this will give the roots time to settle in and begin growing again. Sounds like a bit much? Maybe, but it'll increase your chance of success on an already sensitive plant (Bhut) that has nearly been poisoned :P

As for the coco choir, certain brands can have some excess salt. You can fix that by flushing it out thoroughly, enough to have water draining out of it, then you can squeeze out some more excess water because the stuff is like a sponge. You can dry it off further by mixing it with some dry Fox Farms potting soil. You can probably go as light as 1/3 coco in your mix and still make a difference.

Let us know how it works out :)
UPDATE- The local organic nursery had a block that equaled 3.5 cubic feet for 9 bucks so I got it. I have plenty enough left over to bucket up a few more plants with the bag of foxfarms I have left over. I got everything mixed and repotted(including the little ones that are just starting out, I was very gentle with them of course). Thanks again Jetchuka, and patrick, for the info. Looks like I will be getting a faucet filter in the near future to make sure the humans in this house don't get poisoned as well...

Back