• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Did I kill the seeds?

Hey guys, just had a question...

I've got a humidity dome full of seeds in jiffy peat pellets that I'm trying to germinate. It's been cold, and in an effort to get the temps up I let it sit out in the sun. I checked back every half hour to an hour yesterday, and everything looked great. A couple of tomato seedlings sprouted a day or two ago, so I was feeling good about the peppers following suit.

Unfortunately today I got caught up in somestuff...around noon I checked the dome, and the temperatures of the peat pellets themselves felt warm but just about right. ( I was aiming for 80-85.) I planned to come back out in a half hour or so to recheck and possibly bring them inside...but life happens. I came back out around 2:30 , and it was HOT. I'd guess over 100 in some of the peat pellets...about half of the tomato sprouts had turned kind of brown and sad looking, I'm guessing they aren't going to make it. The pellets in the back row (facing the sun) were noticeably hotter, and that's where the sprouts were damaged. In the front row, the sprouts look happy as can be.

So my concern now is that I may have nuked some or all of my pepper seeds. It's been a week since I planted them, without any kind of soaking or paper towel technique, so I didn't expect them to sprout by now anyhow, but I'd prefer not to wait another two or three weeks to replant if they aren't viable.

Any thoughts?

I have a domed heating mat, and most of my seeds sprouted within 2 weeks, but many sprouted in the first week or so. If you haven't watered the peat pellets, I recommend keeping some water poured in the bottom of the tray so as the temperature rises, the water will absorb into the peat pellets. I would also recommend, when watering the peat pellets, to just fill a bowl with warm water, and dip the pellets in about halfway submerged. That will gradually absorb into the top, without waterlogging the seeds before they have a chance to sprout. I've recently begun using that technique, and it keeps the peat pellets moist, but not soaked, and the temperature hovers right around 85 degrees when I wrap the sides of the heating tray in rags/dishtowels. If your heat mat got over 100 degrees, you may have killed the seeds. I'd probably replant them, but if you want to hold out, give it another 4 days tops, and then replant.

Sorry, i can't comment on whether you've wrecked the seeds or not....i will leave that to the experts!
But as for getting them to germinate, have you considered putting the dome on top of a modem or similar?
I am using a propagator with a lid (sounds similar to what you are using) and my bhut jolokia seeds germinated in 4 days in peat pellets...and i just left them on top of my modem...seems to keep it at just the right temperature!
Might be worth a try?
429053_10150713858641815_512806814_11823787_310071790_n.jpg

I think some might come up and others probably got nuked. I'm thinking the ones that started germinating got nuked. I could be wrong though. IMO, you should start germinating more in a paper towel with a ziplock bag while you wait to see how these guys do. Then you can select the healthiest looking seedlings if you get extras.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably give it a few more days, then start some seeds with the papertowel / ziplock method, then do an autopsy on the pellets not showing anything.

I tried to find an indoor appliance that is warm enough to heat the thing up, hadn't thought of the modem...I had been just leaving the dome outside for a while each day to get the temps up then back inside. My temps here jumped from cold-for-So-Cal 40 low, 60 highs a week ago to 80 something today. So heat may not be as much of an issue moving forward.

Also, does sunlight stimulate germination or is it strictly a heat issue? The sprouts obviously need some light once their out, but before that, its all heat right?

Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably give it a few more days, then start some seeds with the papertowel / ziplock method, then do an autopsy on the pellets not showing anything.

I tried to find an indoor appliance that is warm enough to heat the thing up, hadn't thought of the modem...I had been just leaving the dome outside for a while each day to get the temps up then back inside. My temps here jumped from cold-for-So-Cal 40 low, 60 highs a week ago to 80 something today. So heat may not be as much of an issue moving forward.

Also, does sunlight stimulate germination or is it strictly a heat issue? The sprouts obviously need some light once their out, but before that, its all heat right?

Light doesn't stimulate germination. It's strictly a heat issue. Light is important after they come up of course. If you are using artificial light be careful not to put the light too close or far. If the light is too far they will get leggy. If the light is too close they will turn a purplish color.

Not sure if it's essential, but it's worth a mention that i stuck 2 'Jenga' wooden blocks between the modem and the propogator so that the modem could still 'breathe'! I guessed the unit has holes to let the heat escape for a reason! :)
Good luck

Your seeds should be all good. I had a 36 cell tray sit domed at 110 degrees (soil temps) for an entire week and then I took off the dome and just left them there and after about a week I started getting sprouts and had almost 100% germination. Your tomatoes above are done for because of the high temps humidity. Once something pops above ground, you remove the cover and leave it off. Then just make sure the tray stays moist until all of the rest pop up. Try out the water heater, it stays pretty warm on top and you can just leave off the dome. once they do pop though (even if it's just one) they go straight under the light. the rest will come in sooner or later. (at least the ones that are viable anyway) Good Luck.

Back