• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Did I steam my seedlings?

Unfortunately, I think I used the pad wrong. I've got a 40 cell tray with a plastic top with holes in it.
It gets intense sun through some glass until about 4pm and I've had it going 2 days and have basically had the plastic top on it the whole time. The Trinidad Moruga Yellow and Fatali I transplated there after their germination in the hot water cupboard have died - they look steamed. Is this the problem? My tomato seedling on the same pad in a tomato can with no top is THRIVING.
Is that the difference? Should I only put the top on when there's no sun? I don't mind, it's just the soil dries out far quicker without the top.

AUS/NZ uv and sun is so intense, i found when i put my mini green house in the sun with the lid on it very quickly becomes hot. I use a thermometer i got from jaycar, wasnt too much and i can use it for cooking etc to. It has a long metal probe, i really recommend getting one to test soil temps when germinating.

I hope they survive but when a couple of mine got like that it was all over for them :(

yep, it happens to my mini greenhouse that i am germinating in. Basically when i have it in the light, within a few minutes you cant see through the lid anymore.

I also keep a wet paper towel in there, just stops the jiffy pods/soil from drying out too much when germinating. On a hot day if im away at work for 9 hours the little things would get fried i would have thought unless it was humid and moist inside??

Im no expert though im only new. The temperature/sun might have been too high. You need to harden the plants when they have been inside. I read somewhere to start less than an hour in the sun for a couple of days and then slowly build that up. if you go straight from inside to outside they would die from the sun (even on a cool day)

This is the set-up and through that glass from let's sayyy.. 9-2/3 it's blasted with sun.
So I figure I could just take the top of during those hours?
Gets WARM, though.

yep i know what you mean, you can try to move them back further so they get day light for a while but direct sun for only an hour or two early morning and afternoon to adjust.

My mini green house is similar except it has two vents on top i can slide open. It might be worth giving them some open air maybe prop up one corner of the greenhouse lid or something?? Also are they all germinated or are there seeds in there??

From what ive read here the plants do prefer dry soils not wet, but the seeds dont want to dry out, i think its a balance as you can see your other seedlings look ok even though they are in a similar light.

You are going to have to get a thermometer and use it. If the temp gets much >95F, you have problems.

Guessing temperature will not help.

It is normal for condensation to form when they are covered in a warm area, but you should remove the cover to let that evaporate away to decrease the chances of damping off. Also with a cover on you may find that fungus grows on peat pots or the soil itself which can be killed with a 1:10 solution of OTC hydrogen peroxide to water mix misted on everything from a spray bottle... but keep it away from carpet, cloth or wood furniture, and clothing as it can have a mild bleaching effect.

It does look like temperature rather than fungus killed them.

Second year for starting peppers from seeds for me, but have started seeds for garden for a few years.
So not an expert here, but I think you tried to force grow your seeds to fast and that's what wiped them out.
A heat pad by itself should be adequate heat to start your seeds. Heat from the sun may be adding too much heat. You can start them in total darkness away from all light.
If condensation gets built up too much on the lid, the seeds will eventually be soaking in water. Not good. Take the lid off every once in awhile and let things dry up a bit.
Once they sprout, I usually take the lid off and let things start drying a bit and let the seddling get some air in a sense. Not much need for all the heat from the pad at this stage, I learned. Room temps should be ok.
I wouldn't even put the seedlings in any direct sunlight till the first true leaves are formed. Then, not direct sun as you had them with the lid on. Let them open and dry out a bit as well now.
Gradually increase sunlight amounts till true leaves form.
Those seeds in the blue container look like they are reaching for light being plant down in there.
Plants start to grow slow and trying to force them is no good especially thinking sunlight makes them do that.
My 2 scents here, but do think your forcing them to grow too much when they are still just seedlings.
Make any sense.

With the plastic lid thing, i'd just cut a couple of holes in it with a knife....job done.

I have one of those, but mine has got 2 little slidey things on the top to let air out / not let air out....and i've never used it closed.

So a couple of holes in it, approx 2cm x 2cm should do the trick i reckon.

just to clarify im assuming OTC is 3%??? like what you get in the stores for antiseptic?

"OTC" = Over The Counter
I'm overwintering and starting indoors for the first time this year so it's been added to my arsenal!

There is SOOOO many opinions on everything, but the generalities of everyones methods can be pieced together after several hours lurking in these forums!
Good luck!

Back