• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Difference between Paprika and Chili Powder

Hate to ask a stupid question, but what makes a powder paprika instead of chili powder? Store bought, the chili powder is darker in color, and has a slight smoky smell, but neither has any flavor to speak of. I have grown Alma Paprika, and a couple other paprika type peppers in the past, and the powder turns out wonderfully sweet, with just a hint of heat, so not sure why the store bought stuff has no taste.

Anyway, this year I've dried and ground several varieties of peppers that aren't specifically listed as paprika type peppers, and just wasn't sure how to label the jars of powder, other than just writing the name of the peppers that are in it. In some cases though it is a blend of several different varieties. When I'm cooking I basically just need to know if the powder is sweet, mild, medium, or hot, so I guess I could just label them that way instead ...

What do you guys do?

I name my paprikas based on the type of pepper. Last weekend I made Alma Paprika, Conquistador Paprika, NuMex R' Naky Paprika, and Garnet Paprika. For chili powder which has other ingredients than just ground chiles, I just call it chili powder. If it is just a ground chile, I just call it whatever type of pepper it is, e.g. Hawaiian Sweet Hot powder, Trinidad Scorpion powder, etc.

Traditionally paprika is spanish or Hungarian. Chilli powder is a blend of spices used to make chilli. Chile powder is the same as paprika, powdered chile peppers

Wow, thanks for all of the information! I feel educated now :)

Traditionally paprika is spanish or Hungarian. Chilli powder is a blend of spices used to make chilli. Chile powder is the same as paprika, powdered chile peppers
All these years, I never bothered to actually read the label. Sure enough, chili powder contains ground chiles, cumin, oregano, salt, garlic, and silicon dioxide. Certainly explains the difference in smell.

Back