• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Difference between savina & red habanero.

Hi, can somebody please tell me; What is the exact difference between a red habanero and a red savina?

From google research it would seem that they are 2 of the same thing.

:)

Savina is hotter, because it is a hybrid between a Habanero and something else. Meaning, if someone trades you seeds from their Savina plant, you won't get stable seeds.

Yes they are different.

Yes, I love the flavor. Unique for a hab. And they make awesome powder and sauce.

"Genuine Red Savina seeds are only sold through authorized dealers that get their seeds from Frank Garcia. Red Savina seeds are F1 which means you will get Red Savina peppers when you grow them but the seeds will not give you Red Savina seeds next year because they are F1 Hybrid."

That is a quote off the package of Red Savina seeds I bought last summer.

I think that protection expired a few years ago.

In my understanding "red habanero" is a more generic term for any pepper of the habanero type that's red.  The Red Savina is a very specific cultivar (it's PVP in the States, I believe).

I'm not sure how different the Red Savina really is from other Caribbean red habanero types (Congo Trinidad, Antilles red, and so on).  It seems like there are a lot of these generally similar peppers out there in that class.  And they all taste really, really good.

Edit: I found the PVP status at http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/showpvp.pl?pvpno=9200255 and it does in fact say the protection is expired.  I'm not sure why, since it's supposed to be a 25-year term.

-NT

I reckon it is stable.

The guy created it and for a time it was the hottest and everyone wanted it. It was protected meaning he was making money from it, that was until people started selling abroad or under 'red habanero'. To get around this he just markets it as unstable...

Everything I've read says they found a red habanero plant growing in a field of orange habs.
Pods were hotter than the orange hab.

The plant was then selectively developed/grown out-taking the hottest growouts-to get red savina.

I've never heard of it being a hybrid.

It's stable but varies widely in heat from plant to plant.

What he said ^^^^^

That`s exactly the story I heard, too. I`ll never grow it. Ever. Any red Habanero would be better.

Back