• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

different pods,same plant

I purchased several live plants this year- most of which are doing well and are as sold(ie-they were as identified).I have a few strangers though....
A Trindad Scorp(20" at purchase) that threw chocolate bhuts and no scorps, now has a few bhuts and a definate scorp as well.The scorp popped out from new growth, the chocs from "old growth". I had no other scorps near it, and since it threw bhuts(though they are shorter it seemed)I kept it with the choc bhut containers, now it has a classic, though very wrinkled scorp on it.I do have a pic or two-looks like crap as its an iphone pic, I will try to post.
Any ideas as to this?

are the scorpion shaped pods brown as well? maybe it is a choc scorpion plant as not all the pods of the scorpion plants will have the "scorpion tail" i ordered scorpion pods off a member here and some had a tail others looked similar to a shorter bhut. i am by no means an expert here but i have seen/read LOTS here, and it seems that scorpions put out varying shaped pods.

Eric

I've read that they think that 7Pots might be the origin to Indian Bhut,Bih and Naga Jolokia.
7 pots possibly crossed with other peppers in India and over the years they developed into different stable varieties of peppers.
I've grown several 7 Pots that look very similar to Bhuts etc.

With 7 pots and Scorpions I get a lot of pod variations on each plant most of the time.

7Pot Chiguanas Trinidad

IM004739.jpg

7 Pot #1

IM004609.jpg

7 pot Jonah pods,same plant

PICT2080.jpg

PICT2066.jpg

yo gunslinging dude,

the chilis that any one plant grows and their shapes are
almost not affected by the pollen used to 'impregnate it'.

the mother plant provides the shape, size, and form of the pods

it is the pollen that contributes to how the seeds will grow after they are grown, not how the pod grows "now"
the different varieties will likely have many different pod shapes on the same plant.

planting two seeds from the same pod will likely only have some small differences when grown out
provided they were pollinated from same 'father', but,
if you get different pollen sources from the different 'fathers'
you can have a wide variety of plant characteristics. hybrids also express some differences
because of recessive genes and the like.

you could try for a project to isolate some flowers to keep your 'gene pool' smaller, :dance:
or let the bees do what they do and take your chances

we know who the mother was, but who was the father?

i think you should judge those chilis by taste rather than by looks
as i think it is the eatin' you care about ain't it?

Yo nitwit dude-
The taste and heat are indeed the reason.....and all the seed stock plants are true to type, ie, as per mommie.But to get a certain taste/heat, we generally target a certain type-or is that just me?
Pod variations granted, I've never had an orange hab throw a red fatali-though I have seen a few mutt mixes,
they are generally close/similar in config/color on the same plant.Long drawn out habs and short fat ones on the same plant, sure, very common.I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed either, but I do know I haven't seen
a scorpion pop out on any of my bhuts,so I gotta ask WTF?

Re Read my post.
I never said I get Bhuts and 7 pots both on my 7 pot plant.

I said that I've seen similar looking pods on both plants and that it's been speculated that Bhuts are evolved from 7 pots.

Just following up, forgive the iphone 3gs pics,they won't do clear close ups!
The scorp...
RedScorpr2.jpg

The bhuts...
RedScorpchocBhut.jpg

Back