• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Different Seeds...Timing Germination

This upcoming growing season will be my first for chiles from seed. This is what I have for germinating, so far:

Habanero Choc
Trinidad Douglah
Orange Rocoto
Pequin
Carolina Reaper
Cherry Hots
Bradley's Bahamian
Chilhuacle Negro
Various Jalapenos

Since I have chinense, annuum, and pubescens, how do I start them all under the same light fixture when I wll be starting the chinense earliest?

How do I bring the light close enough for the annuum/pubescens when the chinense have already been growing for several weeks?

How do you deal with seeds sprouting at different times?

I live in Zone 8a/8b. Traditionally, people don't plant outdoors here until Mother's Day. It's my understanding to plant chinense 3-4 months before the last frost. What about annuum and pubescens?

Thanks.

97527 Grants Pass, Oregon USDA Hardiness Zone: Zone 8b: 15F to 20F PlantMaps Hardiness Zone: Zone 8a: 10F to 15F Days Where Temp Exceeds 86°F: 61 - 90 days Ecoregion: 78b - Oak Savanna Foothills Freeze Data: Average First Frost October 11 - 20 Average Last Frost: April 21 - 31 Current Drought Data: Drought Conditions: Palmer Drought Index: Local Climate Data Mon Min F Max F Precip In. Jan 31 47 5.16 Feb 33 53 4.39 Mar 34 58 3.7 Apr 36 64 2.06 May 40 72 1.27 Jun 46 79 .52 Jul 50 87 .37 Aug 50 88 .46 Sep 44 81 .87 Oct 39 69 2.17 Nov 34 52 5.22 Dec 31 45 5.49 Ann 39 66 31.67

How do I bring the light close enough for the annuum/pubescens when the chinense have already been growing for several weeks?

How do you deal with seeds sprouting at different times?

Hi mate,
not really sure where the problem lies, as all of my plants have been started within a 3 month period, and all under the same lights.
Just use buckets / shelves / other object to get the smaller ones nearer the lights....that's what i did anyway, and it seemed to work out fine...

Like this...

205361_10151094338846815_1851123121_n.jpg

Best of luck :)

I had thought i read you start 4-6 weeks before last date. i have notice that the the super hots take about 2 weeks, and the other take a week (what avg's for me). So if you start the superhots than wait a week and start the others. Also, i have really never ran into a promblem with plants growing faster than others.

But you can do like nee did also, pretty damn good idea he had there.

I just plant em and cross that bridge when I get to it, of course no need for lights here in South Central Florida, Chinese do take longer to grow "Thats a Fact!"

Thanks nee. A little common sense goes a long way!

I was going to germinate the seeds in a flat with a plastic lid (Burpee mini-greenhouse), but now I think I will put them on a piece of wet paper towel in a plastic cup, with a lid, on a heat pad. I'd like to see which seeds germinate before planting. Sound good?

If I use the towel/cup method, as the seeds germinate, I can plant them directly into 4-5" pots, and put them under light, right?

I seed them all at the same time because the annuums sprout faster and get a head start then soon the grow area is getting crowded and they are big enough to move outside making more room for the rest of the non-annuums. I have limited space though, and keep everything in a smaller area than a lot of people do.

Yes you can put them directly into 4-5" pots, but you don't really need anything that large yet. By the time they outgrow a 3" pot they are ready to go outside and be transplanted into the ground or their final destination pot. Having a smaller pot initially also makes it more manageable to take them outside every day and back inside when you are hardening them off.

Back