• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Differing Conditions

I know that with different ambient temps and watering schedules you can increase or decrease the heat of a pepper, but can different conditions affect pod shape, texture, or color.

Will completely different conditions completely alter a pepper?

I see butch t pods that are grown in S Texas and I see pics of butch t pods grown in Wisconsin, they still look the same. Completely different conditions.

Correct?

I wish I was in a position where I could post a few pictures, but I would say "sometimes". I guess it depends on your definition of "completely".

Can conditions make my Butch T plants start spitting out Yellow Bhuts? Definitely not.

Can conditions cause my Butch T plant to start spitting out pods that look like an orange hab? Yep, seen it happen a few times. They still taste like a Butch, unfortunately, and are hot as all get out.

When I move plants into the greenhouse at the end of the season I almost always get a round of pods that look nothing like the pods that grew outside, but it is also an extreme change in environment. Outside my red bhuts are pimpled and gnarly, inside the same plants produce pods that are straight and smooth. If that fits your definition of "completely" then there you have it.

Ok....but can you still see the type of pepper you are growing or does it look completly different?

Here is one example in which I have a picture handy.

Untitled by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

This was mis-identified by many people as a chocolate Butch T in a thread earlier this year. Its a Douglah, but had I not pulled it off the plant myself I wouldn't know what it was. I have seen a couple yellow bhuts that were so deeply orange colored that I had to taste them to determine whether they were red or yellow bhuts. All the plants in my examples continued to produce "normal" pods before, after, or during the time they produced the outliers.

It can change a good bit. Nagacanario(naganumbness) has a yellow bhut that put out reg look'n bhuts last season and overwintered and this season the same plant grew all round pods. Kept the color,taste, and heat level but the shape changed in a big way.

I grew a few Bhuts in the shade this year and they were super smooth skinned. The ones next to them in full sun looked normal, (bumpy).

Now it's got cold, my red habs (although fully ripened and big and hotter) are orange.

No it's not a plant mix up and yes, they were red pods in summer

I had two Red Devils Tongue plants - one inside and the other outside once the wheather allowed it... The two plants did only produce pods with the same color,,, Shape and size was nothing similar...

I have several 2-3 year old plants and have watched pod shape change through out the season. Also I am pretty sure that stingers from from the flower remaining around the pepper heavy rain or wind should blow off the stingers. We all know that heat causes less fertility and thus fewer seeds and smaller pods. Extreme sun can cause sunburn and then eventually a change in color for at least unripe pods.

Back