• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Digging up or Dumbing Down?

Hi all. wondering if anyone has dug up a plant from their garden to overwinter. A Dorset Naga plant is rocking hard and blowing out peppers like crazy. I wanna overwinter the plant, however live in the Northwest, and didnt have any luck over wintering house peppers.
Thanks you guys.
:?:

Yea, there's been quite a few posts on the subject. I tried it first time last winter with a few common C. Annuums just to test the waters. I made enough mistakes to probably try this winter with another plant or two. They better be darn special plants cause its a pain.

There are versions to consider: 1) full growing, just keep the plant under quality lights, keep watering and feeding. 2) induce-semi dormancy. 3) bonsai / bonchi mini plant.

I did the semi-dormancy thing: Before first frost, dig up plant. Hose it down, roots and all. Severely chop the top leaving 8-10 inches of trunk. Trim the roots so it is a ball smaller than your fist. Put it in a 1-quart plastic container in STERILE medium. Water it one time. Put it in a room where it is 50-F and gets only a little light. Around February, think about breaking dormancy by watering, increasing warmth and light. Consider a pot up in new premium growing mix around March. (DISCLAIMER: This is NOT guaranteed--the farther you get from Texas, So Cal or Florida, the harder it will be!)

OR---Consider the Bonchi procedure thingie. That might be a good way to go for one special plant. Good luck.... :cool:

Thanks so much. Lots of good info. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm gonna try the semi-dormancy.
Thanks again.

Yea, there's been quite a few posts on the subject. I tried it first time last winter with a few common C. Annuums just to test the waters. I made enough mistakes to probably try this winter with another plant or two. They better be darn special plants cause its a pain.

There are versions to consider: 1) full growing, just keep the plant under quality lights, keep watering and feeding. 2) induce-semi dormancy. 3) bonsai / bonchi mini plant.

I did the semi-dormancy thing: Before first frost, dig up plant. Hose it down, roots and all. Severely chop the top leaving 8-10 inches of trunk. Trim the roots so it is a ball smaller than your fist. Put it in a 1-quart plastic container in STERILE medium. Water it one time. Put it in a room where it is 50-F and gets only a little light. Around February, think about breaking dormancy by watering, increasing warmth and light. Consider a pot up in new premium growing mix around March. (DISCLAIMER: This is NOT guaranteed--the farther you get from Texas, So Cal or Florida, the harder it will be!)

OR---Consider the Bonchi procedure thingie. That might be a good way to go for one special plant. Good luck.... :cool:

good luck! this is my first full season growing, since i am in Sandy eggo i am going to just try to keep on growing year round, maybe pull them inside on a few nights that it will be too cold for them! if it all works out it will be epic to have fresh pods all year! :woohoo:

Where you at in WA? We're in Twisp! I try to wait until the very last night before frost. yeah, gamble much? Over winter-ing seems to be hit and miss. They don't produce, but they can stay alive. I pretty much ignore them until spring, just giving them enough water to stay alive.
Hope that helped... Good luck...

Back