• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Digital vs. Magnetic (coil/core) ballasts

So i'm looking to get a 400 watt HPS kit for my hydro system and am debating between 2 models. They both come with the full kit, ballast, power cord, socket, reflector and lamp. The digital one is $188.93 shipped and the magnetic one is $146.98 shipped.

Is the digital one worth the extra $41.95?

For the slight increase in cost I would go with the electronic. I have read info that the 2nd gen units don't fail as often and maintain the rated output level without decreasing over time like the older style ballast. I would however get some reviews on the specific type your getting because you don't want to get stuck with a cheap one that ends up breaking quickly that has been the biggest problem with the first generation of ballast. I would also consider spending a little more and getting one that does both MH/HPS in one unit. It may be $40.00 more, but it's a lot cheaper than buying an entire second unit if you also want to grow the plant after it flowers to produce fruit.

yeah, im reading as many reviews and doing research on different units. I was under the impression that MH was good for vegetative and HPS for flowering and fruiting. My plans were to continue using my two 6500k 105 watt CFLs for vegetative stages and the HPS for flowering and fruiting. Am i still better off with the MH/HPS? I guess i could always use my CFLs to grow other stuff!

You can still use the CFL if you like and they will work, but if your already dropping some coin on a ballast just drop a little more and get a switchable ballast. I believe a single 105 watt CFL will put out say 5-6,000 lumans. If you have 2 your getting around 12,000 depending on what bulb you have. My 400 watt MH puts out 39000 lumans. I still have a couple of CFL bulbs that I use for the seeds, but when I did my research found a chart that showed I would have to get 18 40 watt bulbs to get the same amount of light from a single 400 MH and was blown away. In your case you would need 6.5 of your 105 watt bulbs. Both will work, but the cost of running 6.5 of those lights will probably cost a lot more initially and probably more to operate over a 1 MH. Plus I got a used switchable ballast, regular hood and tube, bulb, 760 CFM fan all for less than $150, but that price also included a 1000 watt MH AND a 1000 watt HPS ballast with 4 extra new eye hortilux bulbs in boxes so it was all about cost for me.

Thanks for your insight LGHT. I'll have to see if i can find any used units. For new units, the incremental increases for electric then dual function bring the cost above what i was planning on spending. Then again, if i'm going to do it, may as well do it right!

I've read that link and posted the article in another post in the growing form. The site has a ton of info. I subscribed to it after getting a free magazine from my local hydro store.

Great article. Thank you for posting.

LGHT said:
I've read that link and posted the article in another post in the growing form. The site has a ton of info. I subscribed to it after getting a free magazine from my local hydro store.

I was thinking about subscribing when i first started researching HID lights but then realized that if i did i would probably end up spending waaay too much money on new grow tech for my hobby. Maybe if ever decide to start a crop of something more profitable....;)

I'm going to have to watch this thread. I'm thinking of getting my pop a grow light for his termaters (although I may slip a few chilies under it too ;)). I'm going to read the link posted by Nilson tomorrow. I've got too good of a buzz going on now to make any sense of it now.

Hey Unnatural,

So Which one did you decide on?
If I had to choose, I'd go for the digital...

Keep us updated.

Ciao ciao

Nilsen said:
Hey Unnatural,

So Which one did you decide on?
If I had to choose, I'd go for the digital...

Keep us updated.

Ciao ciao

I've decided to go with the digital. Looks like it will save money in the long run and produce more consistent results. I'm still shopping around though. Trying to find a good deal on used units. Failing that, i'm ebaying a bunch of car audio equipment i don't use anymore to raise money for a new system. :lol:

I'll definitely update when i have a system picked out.

Contradiciting my last post i went with this 400 watt HPS. Got it used for a great price, couldn't pass up the deal. I'm going to order a MH conversion bulb for vegetative stages.
400whps.JPG

Back