• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

discoloration: ripening or something else?

20141113_085318_zps04c51630.jpg
[/img]
20141113_085258_zps6355c447.jpg
[/img]

So I've been noticing this discoloration on some of my moruga and ghost scorpions and just want to make sure it's not something to worry about. Instinct says it's just maturing, but had to ask the pros

yeah looks like sunburn to me too.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like your plant wants less water too? 

It definitely wants less water. How can I protect it from rain without sacrificing light? Bag it?
Just curious, what did you see that led you to that conclusion? I want to know the signs to look for

Yellowing of the leaves (entirely - not just the tip) is generally overwatering.

Your leaves have "bubbles" as well - a sign that it needs calcium+magnesium. BER is another sign if you notice that. The leaves should be flat.

An angled sheet of clear plastic above the plants that diverts the water away would be an option if you are getting a lot of rain. Divert the water to a garbage can or plastic storage tub to use for later.

Since you said you were getting quite a bit of rain, could be mold forming as well, see if you can wipe it off with your finger. If it wipes off it could be mold, otherwise it is the pepper equivalent of a sun tan as long as there are no bugs.

Thanks so much for the great info!
Would it be too late in the season to add the nutes? If not, what kind of doses would you recommend?

Hold off on the nutes for a minute. Bumpy leaves (particularly for new growers) is very often a sign of too many nutes too often. Before you add nutes, tell us what you are using, how much (tsp per gallon, for example) and how often you are using them. Agree the pod has sunburn - the white is most likely sunscald, however, which damages the pod, while sunburn usually discolors to purple (can be dark enough to look black without causing deformation of the pod.) Looks like you are growing in pots - move them to a place where they get some shelter from excessive rain and sun. I move mine to my garage and leave the door open while they're in there, so they get some sun without too much.

Well I actually haven't used anything for these peppers. The only thing I've used other than Sun and water, is cyanara a month or so back when I saw some aphids trying to move in. Wiped out the aphids, and didn't hurt the plants or pods one bit to my knowledge.

They get direct morning Sun until about 1pm, but if I we're to move them to the garage they wouldn't get any as it faces south.

We really haven't received a lot of rain lately, more like 3 day spurts of steady drizzle. Before then I would only water when they were wilting far after sunset.

I have moved them into the garage for the night, however, since we're under freeze warning until about 9am tomorrow. Its not insulated, but there's definitely a temperature difference.

Given all of this info, what do y'all recommend?

Given the freeze warning it seems too late to do much this late in the season to fertilize them but they probably would have benefitted from it earlier in the season.

I would just continue to keep moving them into the garage any time there's a risk of frost or freezing to finish up the pods that are already near full sized, unless you plan on keeping them active during overwintering in which case it's time to set up the grow lights and have at it, after trying to hose off any insects and considering whether you want to prune and/or repot them.

They do look nutrient starved, although the plants in the background look healthier.  Are they all in the same soil?  Is it possible they're in too small a pot so in order to keep them from wilting you have to saturate the soil a lot?  I'm just throwing out guesses at this point...

Back