Distressed Piri Piri

Hi everyone,

I am not sure what is going on with my two Piri Piri plants, but both look like this:

2014-01-11-19.24.19.jpg

2nd picture:

2014-01-11-19.26.17.jpg

These Piri Piri have always looked a bit stressed since they were seedlings. I have changed soil mix, tried different water types and also have used several fertilizer types (Micro and Grow combinations in low values). They grow under T5H0 and as soon as they are a bit less stressed, they will go under HPS.

As you might be able to see, they also loose leafs once in a while. They look wet as I just watered.

Any tips or recommendations? Sorry for the large pics, I just do not know how to attach pictures properly.

Chris

just want to check, were the seeds piri piri or wiri wiri?

sounds goofy, but the 2 are different species though some sites say they are the same. those sites are wrong, 2 completely different species.
now the reason for the question, i have wiri wiri seed and every attempt to grow them has seen them get to 3-4 inches then just rot on the plant. leaves just crisp up and the plant dies. i have tried several attempts to get the wiri wiri to get past the 4 inch stage but i may appear the seeds are infected.

my next attempt on the wiri will be 100% hydro. i did try growing them in soil then move to hydro but they had already established the pattern.

Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure they are Piri Piri, African Bird's Eye... 

Do your plants look similar to mine...?

i haven't started them yet this year but for 2 years in a row, for the most part, ya, they looked like yours. first the wrinkled leaves, then they just turn crispy.with the wiri, they go fast. at first i tried to take immature plants from soil and move them to hydro but the damage was already done. i am thinking, this year i may start them in rockwool then move them to hydro and cover them. perhaps the supercharge of nutrients will bypass the problem.

for my wiri wiri, i feel there is an underlying problem found right in the seed, you may be experiencing the same with your peri peri. diseased seed.

I have two of these seeds currently germinating in Rockwool. We'll see what happens, but if they look similar to yours, I might have diseased seeds as well! 

This is interesting to me since I'm about to sow my seeds sometime later today for this season.  I'll be attempting to grow Piri Piri for the first time as well.  I sure hope I get some peppers from these plants.

On a side note, I learned something new - I had never heard of a wiri wiri pepper. lol.  It looks like a chiltepin which I'll be attempting to grow for the first time as well. :)

Piri Piri peppers are widely used in South African chicken marinades. When I was in Kaapstad (Capetown), my cousin made fresh marinade from piri piri peppers she picked out of her garden. Amazingly better than any other piri piri sauces or marinades I had ever bought in stores.

Burning Colon said:
just want to check, were the seeds piri piri or wiri wiri?

sounds goofy, but the 2 are different species though some sites say they are the same. those sites are wrong, 2 completely different species.
now the reason for the question, i have wiri wiri seed and every attempt to grow them has seen them get to 3-4 inches then just rot on the plant. leaves just crisp up and the plant dies. i have tried several attempts to get the wiri wiri to get past the 4 inch stage but i may appear the seeds are infected.

my next attempt on the wiri will be 100% hydro. i did try growing them in soil then move to hydro but they had already established the pattern.
Wow. That sounds interesting. I'd like to know if the Hydro resolves your problem.

Well it looks like you need calcium for one. If you've fertilized that infrequently it couldn't hurt to feed it again. That's probably not the problem but it certainly couldn't hurt.

impending_bending said:
Well it looks like you need calcium for one. If you've fertilized that infrequently it couldn't hurt to feed it again. That's probably not the problem but it certainly couldn't hurt.

I will wait until Tuesday, as I am not sure what the hydrogen peroxide mist does to the plant. I have some 2 part grow fert I will use at 1/4 strength again.

impending_bending said:
You'll be fine feeding it now, especially at quarter strength. A tsp of 3% h2o2 in a quart won't be very harmful and won't interfere with the ferts

Ok Thanks, I'll go do that right away.

Back