• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning DIY cutting cloner w/pictures and detailed instructions

This is going to be (hopefully) a sticky on an easy bubbleponic cutting cloner.

Ok...here we go!

First is the basic setup. A simple bucket from Lowes. Make sure it is NOT white, as light can penetrate and cause algae build up.

1.) Start off by measuring the ID of the bucket by connecting one end of the hose to the "T" fitting and making a complete circle on the inside of the bucket. Cut according to circum. and attach other piece to the fitting. You want it to be a tight fit, this way you won't have any areas that aren't against the inside wall. I drilled 9 SMALL holes around the outside for the zip ties to keep the tubing in place. Also drilled a small hole for a grommet to run the air line through. The picture is very self explanatory.

After you get the tubing the right ID size, use a 5/64 size drill bit and drill 11-12 holes spaced as evenly as you can. Anymore, and you will not get sufficient flow if you use a small pump. The one I have for this set up is a ECO AIR 1 PLUS.

2011-10-05192206.jpg

Here is a picture from the outside of where I drilled holes for the zip ties.

2011-10-06192121.jpg

After you get the holes drilled, attach the tubing with the zip ties.

Here is a picture of the "T" and the zip ties, with the tubing attached. I have the airline running through the grommet and a bubble curtain with suction cups at the bottom in the water.

Measure distance from WATER PUMP inlet, to hose barb left on the "T" and connect accordingly. Some trial and error is needed. I always cut my hoses too long and trim to correct length.

This picture is a close up of a tubing hole w/water streaming from the pump.

2011-10-06192320.jpg

Here is the setup with the bubble curtain and pump inside.

2011-10-06192106.jpg

The final picture of the cutting cloner set up with water pump running. You will want the Some pumps have adjustable pressure settings (like mine) and allow you to adjust how strong of flow you have. You want the water to be just above the bucket rim to ensure it hits all the net pots.

2011-10-06192231.jpg

So, is this just like a DWC but with a water pump that keeps the water flowing? What is the benefit of this over a DWC?

Sorry if I am missing something, but I am just trying to understand this.

I'm guessing that the intent is to put a ring of small net pots where they would be hit by the streams and kept constantly wet with oxygenated water. That should help root cuttings faster than just putting them in potting soil.

All kinds of designs for this kind of stuff on some of the not safe for work forums on indoor growing.:cool:

OIC. So the net is not actually submerged, but rather the water is continuously splashed up on to the roots. That makes sense. Interesting idea. I wonder how the results differ from a DWC as the DWC seems easier and less expensive to build. I'd love to see a side by side grow out.

The images in the original post aren't showing up for me. but thanks for posting the information. Wish I could see the examples.

Sorry my other pictures didn't show up. Photobucket was jacket up.

To answer questions, the water is splashed on the roots constantly, and not sitting in water like a DWC. The air stone provides highly oxygenated water sucked up by the waterpump.

I used 2" net pots (6 of them) and cut holes in the lid. You've also got to put neoprene inserts in the pots to hold cutting.

I've made 7 of these for family and friends. They have even used it for growing herbs and lettuce. You can cut less holes that are bigger and easily grow any pepper. Its a mini bucket grower. Hope this helps everyone.

I welcome all questions/comments.

Seeing them now. Nice, simple and creative. Like the way you hooked the zipties through a single hole and used the lock end size to keep the hosing in place, clever.

I will probably make something just like this for starting newly germinated plants. Think this would be a good setup for seedlings in a rapidrooter?

Ictus, thank you.
This would be a great set up for germinated seeds once the roots show through the rockwool or RR. I use the same bucket but bought several different lids and made different hole sizes/quantities of holes for full term growing.

You can drill out 2 larger net pot holes and this thing works stellar for cherry tomatoes too. Best part of all, I grew it all with 6500k T8 lighting.

So rather you use it for a cloner/junior hydro bucket before transplant to your main system or as a full term grow system it will work great.

For those of you who are wondering if this is like a DWC with a pump, NO. The roots are not submerged into the nutrient water. They hang freely ABOVE the water to continuously be exposed to oxygen. The air stone creates O2 for the water pump to suck up bubbles and push that oxygenated water w/nutes onto the roots.

If you use this setup for a full term grow, wouldn't the roots have to be submerged eventually? I don't want to split hairs, just clarifying. One some other forums I have seen people refer to a similar setup as Aero-Lite since it has more in common with aero than DWC.

If you use this setup for a full term grow, wouldn't the roots have to be submerged eventually? I don't want to split hairs, just clarifying. One some other forums I have seen people refer to a similar setup as Aero-Lite since it has more in common with aero than DWC.

Technically yes, but you can trim root balls w/no harm to plants. And you could even say a fully aeroponic system made out of the vinyl fence posts with many small pots has DWC characteristics because once the roots get long they will be laying in all the nute water returning to the main res.

The main focus of this set up is to have oxygenated nute solution being constantly delivered w/out flooding the roots.

Good point. But I think "True" aero grows don't consider a vinyl post to be a good aero chamber. I totally admit I am a n00b to this stuff, but based on what I've read, those smaller channels are more suited to NFT than aero. Maybe they're better for something like lettuce which mature quick?

Have you ever tried mixing in any beneficial bacteria of fungi? some people claim it can increase rooting of clones faster than rooting compound.

Good point. But I think "True" aero grows don't consider a vinyl post to be a good aero chamber. I totally admit I am a n00b to this stuff, but based on what I've read, those smaller channels are more suited to NFT than aero. Maybe they're better for something like lettuce which mature quick?

Have you ever tried mixing in any beneficial bacteria of fungi? some people claim it can increase rooting of clones faster than rooting compound.

I have never messed w/bacteria or fungi. Mainly because I am an Infectious Disease physician and I dabble in Microbiology all day. The thought of putting things like that into my food makes me shudder. HA! I just use root gel with the classic 45 degree cut and shave some of the stem skin off to promote rapid rooting.

Hmmm interesting point. Hadn't really thought about that. usually people just use earthworm casings soil mixes which I doubt would be as potent as the more specific multi-fungal spores like MycoGrow.

Thanks for all the info. I really like this idea and I can see how it might out perform a DWC and is much cheaper and easier than an aeroponic system. I think I am going to give it a try.

Thanks for all the info. I really like this idea and I can see how it might out perform a DWC and is much cheaper and easier than an aeroponic system. I think I am going to give it a try.

Go to Wally World and pick up a bubble curtain like the one in my picture. It works MUCH better than an air stone. Plus you can cut it to size with scissors. FYI.

Nice Clean build- +1

I love the look of the zip ties.

What size pump did you use?

Good Morning XLNT,

My apologies in advance I do not remember the exact GPH of the pump. I believe it was 180-something. You are better off with a pump that has the 1/2" female threads built in so that a male thread x hose barb can be used. However, this was an extra little pump I had laying around so I tried it! Best of luck to you.

I would give you one suggestion. I would "Plug" 180* misting sprayers in to the tubing so they spray up. This way you can get a finer mist to the roots. Of course this all depends on the size of your net pots and how deep or far down they hang. You want the spray underneath them - You might need to lower the spray bar on future builds.

One of the unforeseen problems in a small hydroponics system is that the pumps tend to heat up the water to much. This can be a problem especially if the motor is housed in the 5 gal containers. 2 simple solutions are to either plug the pump into a timer, so it can cool down every once in awhile or build a larger reserve. Use your current bucket system and have it drain into a larger reservoir and re-plumb the pump to pump from the larger reservoir.

I would also suggest that you get a digital ph meter if you have don’t have one. They are around $10 on ebay. No they are not as good as the Hanna ones that are $65, but I have had my $10 China ebay one for over a year and still going strong.

$10 ebay Digital PH meter

I just ordered some of these and can’t wait to try them. This is not for seeds for rooting clones or cuttings. This way you don’t have to buy the basket, just the insert. They around $.50 each.

ebay link to clone inserts

Martin

I would give you one suggestion. I would "Plug" 180* misting sprayers in to the tubing so they spray up. This way you can get a finer mist to the roots. Of course this all depends on the size of your net pots and how deep or far down they hang. You want the spray underneath them - You might need to lower the spray bar on future builds.

One of the unforeseen problems in a small hydroponics system is that the pumps tend to heat up the water to much. This can be a problem especially if the motor is housed in the 5 gal containers. 2 simple solutions are to either plug the pump into a timer, so it can cool down every once in awhile or build a larger reserve. Use your current bucket system and have it drain into a larger reservoir and re-plumb the pump to pump from the larger reservoir.

I would also suggest that you get a digital ph meter if you have don’t have one. They are around $10 on ebay. No they are not as good as the Hanna ones that are $65, but I have had my $10 China ebay one for over a year and still going strong.

$10 ebay Digital PH meter

I just ordered some of these and can’t wait to try them. This is not for seeds for rooting clones or cuttings. This way you don’t have to buy the basket, just the insert. They around $.50 each.

ebay link to clone inserts

Martin

Hey Martin! Thank you for the suggestions. I had built a 10-sprayer manifold using the red EZ-Clone sprayers, but dropped it and broke three of them LOL. The pump size I had didn't run the sprayers very well to begin with :think:

I tried the tubing so that the water would "loop" into the 2" net pots I am using with my neoprene inserts. Fortunately the pump is powerful enough...after making three different tubes with holes LOL. The first one I drilled to many and the PSI wasn't enough even adjusted up all the way. The second still had too many holes. So the third attempt I drilled 9 or 11 I can't remember exactly, but works great.

The beauty of this is you can play around w/different ideas to your liking!

Back