• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

DIY Heat mat

I made a DIY Heat mat last weekend. I used some small christmas lights placed inside of a plastic rubermaid type tub with cat sand poured over the lights. I have them on a timer that is on for 15 min and off for 15 min. I then placed my jiffy pot plastic tray with the transparent lid on top of the cat sand. I put a thermometer inside and it is maintaining 85 degrees. So far my germinated seeds from coffee filters in plastic bags are placed into 1.5 oz plastic catfood cups with MG seed starting mix have been loving it.
This whole DIY seed starting kit cost less than $20 including the tub, lights,cat sand and jiffy pot seed starting kit.

Nice innovative work there with some inexpensive materials Hot Charlie.

Just goes to show that getting started in this hobby doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Best of luck to you there!

dvg

Nice post hot charlie. I have been concerned about my seedlings being in an environment that is too cold because I keep my house in the low 60's. They are contained with a bedroom wall and 3 sides of reflective material. The T12 lights just don't put out enough heat and I was wondering how to heat it up without jacking up the electricity bill. I think I will try your idea of Christmas lights to heat up the growing area. Thanks man.

Back