• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water DIY waterfarm mod

For those of you who have used a waterfarm by general hydroponics you know how massive your roots will become in the 2 gallon bucket.

That being said the roots that exit the bucket via the provided drain holes are somewhat lacking. This simple DIY mod will show you the steps you need to follow to increase drainage and promote root growth into the reservoir.

Materials required:

Waterfarm by general hydroponics
Power drill with 1/4" drill bit
A conical rasp bit
Exact-o knife or a razor blade.

First off this is the bottom of the waterfarm container that we will be using.

cQIiwX3.jpg

You can see a pattern of holes drilled in threes. Drill out an extra hole in each direction. Keeping in mind your spacing and lines.

pFesQfl.jpg

You are done with the drill bit now. Attach your rasp bit to the drill.

SZsuVrY.jpg

Using the rasp, make the hole larger but be careful to not make the holes larger than the medium you are using.

XUtWwnl.jpg

Drill every other hole in a checker board pattern. The reason for this is to keep the structural integrity of the bottom of the bucket.

IA8xA9X.jpg

You will want to go ahead and flip the bucket over and using the rasp on the same holes drill them out to keep it uniform.

A2VVYyx.jpg

You are done with the drill and rasp now.
put your tools back up so you know where they are for later projects.

The finished holes may have a little bit of plastic left around the edges.

69R2g0i.jpg

Using your razor blade gently cut it off both inside and out. This is done easily by setting the blade at an angle and rotating the bucket and blade. You won't need a lot of pressure to do this at all.

tZBds8H.jpg

Wash it up and make sure you have no bits of plastic that may get caught in the water line during use.

-----

This is great to promote drainage and prevent your roots from rotting in the bucket and also allows more root growth through the holes.

Once your roots reach the reservoir below you can run a second pump with an airstone on 24/7 instantly converting your waterfarm from not only a drip bucket but to DWC.

Also here is a quick and easy way to clean and prep your hydroton to remove dust and other particulates from it.

All you need is your pre measured amount of hydroton a mesh laundry bag and a water source.

72SOKyE.jpg

Note: I don't recommend doing this on the grass as you will get grass on your laundry bag but this is for demonstration.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully it helps/inspires future DIY!

caveman

looks good. are you going to post a grow log with this system?

quick point.
An alternative to the rasp bit would be a stepped drill bit. they are far more common, and honestly, a more logical bit to use on plastics.
rasps are better for more friable materials like wood drywall etc.

queequeg152 said:
looks good. are you going to post a grow log with this system?quick point.An alternative to the rasp bit would be a stepped drill bit. they are far more common, and honestly, a more logical bit to use on plastics.rasps are better for more friable materials like wood drywall etc.
I have a grow log going right now.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/49271-cavemans-hot-pepper-and-spice-grow/

As for the bit. I have had much luck with a rasp bit in the past. I used to use them on those 32oz plastic cups you bring home from certain restaurants. I would dry my mushrooms in those.

But yes a stepping drill bit would work just fine but I don't have one ;p dually noted though next time I'm in the city I'll pick one up.

Yeah I used a drill bit and worked just fine, although it didn't have holes that I needed to make bigger , I had to put holes in the bucket so they were the size I wanted them to be the first time I drilled them in....

to clarify.

i mentioned the step drill mostly in response to the two step, drill and rasp method you used above.
a step drill bit would require only one step. I thought that was important to point out to folks that follow your guide.

With that said, they can cost alot, however you will find that the 50-100dollar bits are intended for steel, hardwoods etc. Step drill bits tend to clear very poorly, for plastic at least. they also leave uneven beveled edges. This bevel is potentially an issue with some bulkhead fittings.

An even better solution, would be sharp, cheap drill bits... sized correctly for the holes you need to drill. Real drill bits will clear far better, reducing the plastic to chips or short ribbons. the hole will also lack that beveled potentially uneven edge i mentioned above.

FWIW The cheap step drill bits i have, were from harbor frieght, i assume they are junk, but they are good enough for PVC and HDPE.

queequeg152 said:
to clarify.i mentioned the step drill mostly in response to the two step, drill and rasp method you used above.a step drill bit would require only one step. I thought that was important to point out to folks that follow your guide.With that said, they can cost alot, however you will find that the 50-100dollar bits are intended for steel, hardwoods etc. Step drill bits tend to clear very poorly, for plastic at least. they also leave uneven beveled edges. This bevel is potentially an issue with some bulkhead fittings.An even better solution, would be sharp, cheap drill bits... sized correctly for the holes you need to drill. Real drill bits will clear far better, reducing the plastic to chips or short ribbons. the hole will also lack that beveled potentially uneven edge i mentioned above.FWIW The cheap step drill bits i have, were from harbor frieght, i assume they are junk, but they are good enough for PVC and HDPE.
Thanks for the info. The waterfarm did drill out well when I was placing my holes. I could have gone along with using a larger sized bit to just get the hole drilled to size. Hah I guess I just like tinkering and this was my first tutorial so I thought I would give it my all ;D

Back