• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Do all peppers grow about the same?

How do different peppers vary? Nutes, pruning, amount of light, amount of water, pollination, airflow, etc. If I've grown one plant am I able to grow 50 different plants if I give them all the same kind of care or do I need to give something to one plant that would make another unhappy?

If there are differences, do they go by species, native climate, or what?

I'm just guessing here, but id assume all the domesticated species and varieties need similar care for the most part.

Again, just speculating from a novice.

They all have the same basic needs. Not counting the wilds cause I have no experience with them, but I know they are generally much harder to germinate and produce fruit. But yes the domestic species are the same other than certain varieties liking the sun more or some liking cooler temps (Rocoto, Manzano)

As noted already, all have very similar requirements, other than some varieties (such as pubescens) seeming to want cooler temperatures than most others. However, it's also important to note that some uptake water at different rates than others. This doesn't seem to be split by species, but by variety. My douglah's are thirsty girls, and I have to water them and my aji habaneros more frequently than my other chile plants. If I water the congo trinidads as much, though, they show signs of overwatering (yellowing leaves.) Big key is to listen to what your plants tell you individually. Try to wait just until the leaves droop a tad before watering. I grow in pots, so it's easy to group together varieties based on watering needs that way. The one thing I do make sure of, regardless of variety, is to water until it flows freely out of the pot (not just down the sides, but a real soaked-through flow) when I do water.

Many grow differently.
A PITA when growing in trays under lights.
Some short and bushy, some tall, some like to be well watered, most like to droop a bit.

Good dirt, decent ferts, and pay attention to which ones like more or less water, and group them together.
IMHO, of course.

Back