chinense Do different Chinense varieties smell different?

Since this is my first year growing Chinense varieties, I'm wondering if someone could clue me in a little here.  I just realized that the Fatalii powder I have smells an awful lot like PexPeppers Atom Splitter which is made from Brown Moruga's (listed as first ingredient).

Do these different Chinense varieties have very distinct smells? Is there a "chinense smell" that is common across the different varieties in addition to their unique smells? Do fresh pods smell different from dried pods? Finally, can pod smells be "contaminated" by another stronger smelling pod or powder?

Yes, there are many different branches to the C.Chinense flavors and aromas. Fatalis/Bhuts/Morougas have somewhat a similar flavor because of the higher heat and thin walls.

I've found that Orange Habaneros tend to have their own flavor, while Caribbean Reds/Fatali Reds have their own general flavor branch.

7-Pots/Bhuts/Scorpions/Morougas/Fatalis tend to be somewhat similar, although depending upon the color, they will be pretty different.

Whites tend to be fruitier, reds are a deeper "musky" flavor, oranges tend to be rich and complex, yellows are also fruity (yet with a hint of muskiness), browns/blacks are usually deep/rich/earthy and with fruity hints reminiscent of passionfruit or other tropical fruits.

Scotch Bonnets, especially yellows, are always their own unique branch of flavor, too.

There is another branch which I have found several peppers fall, generally speaking, which I refer to as the "Cheiro" flavor branch. CGN21500, Biquinho Iracema, Zavory, and Cheiro White Habanero are all ones which I've noticed similarities in flavor. They tend to taste like tropical fruit, but the peppers are very crunchy and thick walled, and also have a similar hint of apple-ish flavor like many ripe red C.Annuums have.

This is my no means exhaustive, but I hope it gives you an idea about how complex the C.Chinense flavor spectrum is!

There is, however, a quality to all of the C.Chinense peppers that distinguishes them from other species emphatically. If I were to try and qualify it, I would say it is a bright-musky-fruity character and very pungent even with non-hots.

Compare that to C.Annuum which is more vegetable-like with rich notes, or C.Baccatum which is more aromatic/perfumy/pineapply, or C.Pubescens with its deep pepper flavor and tomato-like notes, or C.Frutescens with a tendency to have more of a tomato/onion fusion and black peppery notes. In any case, they are all unique and will all have differences to one another, even in the same species. Have fun as you personally discover the richness and diversity of chili peppers, my friend!

Hendrix1326 said:
Yes, there are many different branches to the C.Chinense flavors and aromas. Fatalis/Bhuts/Morougas have somewhat a similar flavor because of the higher heat and thin walls.

I've found that Orange Habaneros tend to have their own flavor, while Caribbean Reds/Fatali Reds have their own general flavor branch.

7-Pots/Bhuts/Scorpions/Morougas/Fatalis tend to be somewhat similar, although depending upon the color, they will be pretty different.

Whites tend to be fruitier, reds are a deeper "musky" flavor, oranges tend to be rich and complex, yellows are also fruity (yet with a hint of muskiness), browns/blacks are usually deep/rich/earthy and with fruity hints reminiscent of passionfruit or other tropical fruits.

Scotch Bonnets, especially yellows, are always their own unique branch of flavor, too.

There is another branch which I have found several peppers fall, generally speaking, which I refer to as the "Cheiro" flavor branch. CGN21500, Biquinho Iracema, Zavory, and Cheiro White Habanero are all ones which I've noticed similarities in flavor. They tend to taste like tropical fruit, but the peppers are very crunchy and thick walled, and also have a similar hint of apple-ish flavor like many ripe red C.Annuums have.

This is my no means exhaustive, but I hope it gives you an idea about how complex the C.Chinense flavor spectrum is!

There is, however, a quality to all of the C.Chinense peppers that distinguishes them from other species emphatically. If I were to try and qualify it, I would say it is a bright-musky-fruity character and very pungent even with non-hots.

Compare that to C.Annuum which is more vegetable-like with rich notes, or C.Baccatum which is more aromatic/perfumy/pineapply, or C.Pubescens with its deep pepper flavor and tomato-like notes, or C.Frutescens with a tendency to have more of a tomato/onion fusion and black peppery notes. In any case, they are all unique and will all have differences to one another, even in the same species. Have fun as you personally discover the richness and diversity of chili peppers, my friend!

Wow thanks for that! A perfect answer. Definitely got me excited to try all the different flavors!

:clap:  Very nice description Hendrix,  Its been very hard for me to describe the nuances of flavors and aromas of different chili and non pungent pepper species and varieties to begin with and more so now do to Chemo treatments and radiation, which has pretty much killed my flavor buds in my mouth and nose.
I take several different dried or fresh pods and then crush and Breath in the aromas and take a big bite and chew slowly to help give me a Idea what a new pepper would taste like, almost like sampling a good wine.

Back