• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds do i bottom water AS SOON AS my seeds germinate ?

The actual pots/trays or whatever the plants are in should have drainage holes in the bottom. To bottom water, you place those pots/trays in a larger container with an inch or two of water in it and let the soil absorb water. Once the soil is moist (about 5-20 minutes depending on the soil and size of container) remove the pots/trays from the water and let the extra water drain. Then put the plants back under your lights and don't bottom water again until the soil is almost dry. Too much water is a bad thing. After doing this a few times you will be able to judge the dampness of the soil by the weight of the pots/trays. Good luck

After they germinate, I would start them on a watering schedule immediately. Meaning only water them when they NEED it. MY general rule of thumb is when they plant starts to wilt just a tiny bit, water them. This also depends on what type of medium you put them in. Peat pellets will become VERY light and airy when they need water. Soil will separate from the sides right before you need water.
REMEMBER...just because the soil/peat ON TOP looks dry, that does not mean that the soil underneath the surface isnt. Thats why I wait until my plants wilt a little bit. The plants will let you know when they need water. Sure, I have to keep a super close eye on them. But, thats just the way I do it.

Just so you have this straight in case my translation is not good.

#1: Put your germinated seeds in a cup or container with soil. The plant container must have holes in the bottom.

#2: To bottom water, fill a small tray or bowl without holes in it. Put your plant containers in this tray of water.

#3: When soil is moist, remove from water tray and put plant container back in a dry tray under the lights!

Repeat when it gets dry.

Best of luck! .... :cool:

Interesting. I have been keeping my seedlings feet wet 24/7 for a week now, and they seam to be doing great. They are starting to grow their second set of leaves today. Will I hurt them in the long run by keeping them this way? I will remove the water asap if this is the case.

Back