Do I Dare? The NJ State Fair

So, I have the opportunity to set up at the NJ State Fair for 10 days this August. Show runs from 10am to 10pm from August 1st thru August 10th. 120 Selling Hours!  Been going on for many many years now and they expect 130-170,000 people to pass through the gates over that 10 day period.

For $500, I'd get a spot in a lower traffic area, but near the main 'food street'. I could possibly get into a higher profile area for $800.

There are two vendors in the concession/craft area that sell the 'gimmick hot sauce. primarily private label basic hot sauces with the crazy names and graphics'.  I'd prep a lot of all-natural banners and signage to separate myself from them. I am sure I will be a bit more expensive then what they sell for as well....

I'd be doing this primarily alone, although I'd look to get someone from my wifes family to spell me for an hour or two a day, so I can escape and 'reload' my mind....It's a daunting task to be on for 12 hours a day for 10 straight days. It's summer time....After 4-5 hours at a farmers market in 85 degree weather, I am usually pretty wiped out when it is over. I can't fathom what a 12 hour day may wind up feeling like, or 10 of them...

I have to commit before I know what the weather will be like? We could have 95 degree weather the whole time...there may be days of thunder showers. I won't know till a few days before, for an accurate forecast.

I have enough sauce, postcards, and other goodies to last me.

Am I up for this challenge? The no brainer in me says go for it.....$50 a day in sales and you break even....If I can't make $50 over 12 hours, I may as well quit. I could also clean up and make enough to clear up some debt....Probably an amazing chance to really get my name out there in my local 50-60 mile radius....People come from states around to this festival...

So, why am I on the fence about undergoing this event? I'm less than one year in as a 'pro'. I'm confident in my sauces and my ability to sell. I know if people sample my stuff, 3/4 times they buy it...  

It's a huge time commitment away from my family and daughters, although I am sure the Mrs. would being them to visit multiple times....The fair is only 25 minutes from my home, so it's not a crazy trek...

Is there any reason why I should NOT do this? I need a pep talk?

If so, what can I do to make it more special? I'm thinking of stickers, having a ton of candy for the kids who will be with their parents, who won't be tasting the sauces...it'd be nice to be able to give them stuff....

Do I go for broke and try and get into the hig profile area with the maximum foot traffic? The area that I was promised is right at the end of the main road, less than 30 feet away from 'main street'...maybe I go for the $500 buck area....I have been to the fair before, and their is still great amount of foot traffic there too..

Please jump in my head, and let me know what I should be thinking about before I make a final decision....Need to commit by Wednesday....

Much thanks HS family!

http://njstatefair.com/fair/

First, sure - why not. Go sell. Anywhere you get an audience and can be the retailer is your best option for sales. It's why I'm doing so many festivals. I'm paying rent with hot sauce - it's a numbers game. If you have enough sauce and if you think you're ready for such an event, and if historic attendance numbers support doing it, then I don't see why you wouldn't do it. 

GeminiCrow said:
Am I up for this challenge? The no brainer in me says go for it.....$50 a day in sales and you break even....

Your math is off. $50 a day doesn't cover food, gas, cost of goods sold (you don't get your sauce for free I assume?), tasters, chips or whatever, etc. And you suggest doing it alone, which I think it insane. Anything over 5-7K people you need a helper, so you'd probably be paying them upwards of $100 a day + lunch. 

But even if you do it by yourself you'll need to sell a hell of a lot more than $50 a day to break even on the fee. 

And that doesn't even include opportunity costs. Example: you do that festival and make $100 a day. You get $1K and break even after gas, helper(s), tasters, etc. You've got to consider that you could have done 4 farmer's markets in that 10-day span, and actually made a small profit. This was readily apparent when I did a blues festival run by idiots and it was a bust. The money you could make doing something else must be considered. 

That all said, $500 for 10 days is a very inexpensive festival. For the 3 I just did in SF I had to shell out $650 each weekend. So yeah - you've got a bargain there. I have others that have cheap booth fees but 10% to the festival hosts. Either way $500 is pretty affordable. 

Don't really have a definitive response for you as you're the one who has to decide. Just food for thought - hope it helps. :cheers: 

Ps - If you do it, spend the extra $300 for a better location. It'll pay for itself. 

Scott, you are right on all accounts...

my post was more of a stream of consciousness release than anything. Wasn't even prepared to tackle all the stuff you mentioned, just yet... thanks Jerk!  :party:

Getting help, even for 3-4 hours a day is a possibility and something I'd heavily try and figure out. I would be passing up 4 weekend markets to do the fair.

I was thinking $50 as a worst case scenario.
I have taken my girls to this thing and it is massive and a ton upon ton of people.....but are they potential buyers?

I'm speaking with the head of concessions tomorrow as I have a few remaining questions. Gonna see if the space goes unrented, would she let me do 5 days for $250? That I'd jump on with no issues.

So long as it's a shopping crowd it's a bargain. 

And you know, even if it's $50 a day and you do the show at a 25% loss it's still fantastic marketing opportunity for your brand. Never miss a great marketing opportunity, especially one where you are sampling your product. 

Hell, it'd be worth doing 10 days at $50 a day as just a tabling/tasting event where you're not even selling sauce. Marketing is everything. 

GeminiCrow said:
my post was more of a stream of consciousness release than anything. Wasn't even prepared to tackle all the stuff you mentioned, just yet... thanks Jerk!  :party:

You're welcome - and sorry, I am OCD about these sorts of things - if you're asking me my opinion on your decision I like to get all the factors accounted for. That's the calculus that's going to make or break this as an opportunity. Good to get it all out on the table. 

And never underestimate opportunity costs either - those 4 markets you miss are full of regular customers who could be disappointed that you weren't there. 

Im not in the food industry but it sounds like a good idea. You gotta sell somewhere, right? The only thing I would be hesitant about is the other gimmick sauces being there.. I wonder if you can find out how many years they have been doing it by asking some people who have done other things there? If its been a bunch of years, seems like there is a good demand for sauce at the festival..

Soooo.... while the fires are still burning...

did you sign up for the fair? 

I don't know how much of a buying crowd a fair would be.   Never done one!  For the booth cost...heck!  How can you loose?!?!???  $500 for 10 days???  

You'll probably loose your mind trying to work that by yourself, but I'd go for it. 

At a couple other events that we've looked into, they have Stand-Ins that can come work your booth for an hour or 2 to give you a break.  This was at Holiday Events.  Probably not available though the county fair. 

edit- state fair~~

I decided against it. More than anything it was the 10 straight 12 hour days. I can't afford to hire anyone to help me and even for the great price, Scott said it best. I have four other regular events over those 10 days that I'd be missing. From a pure $$ vs time commited stand point, I'm better off going to my established markets. Maybe nxt year?!

However, it works out in the end!
One of the markets I do is taking several tables at the fair and hire 4H kids to man the tables. In exchange each vendor gives 10% of gross sales to the kids for the 4H so it works out. I'd go for maybe an hour or two each day for a daily tasting, but otherwise I provide product and signage and collect $$ at the end.

Back