• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Do I have enough light?

My first time growing anything hotter than a habanero, and my first time growing from seed; want to make sure my lights aren't holding me back. I've got a 4'x4' grow tent with a 4x4' T5HO and I'm only trying to grow one Bhut, one Butch T, one original Trinidad Scorpion, one brain strain, and one 7 pod.

I've searched and read about lighting, and I've found the recommended minimum of 3000 lumen per sq ft. Where I'm confused is does this refer to the size of the tent or the area under the lamp only (4'x 1' in this case?)

So to the topic do I have enough light for permanent indoor growing or should I consider an additional fixture?

Thanks in advance.

You have plenty of light. Question is are you growing them to plant outside later or indoor completely? If indoor, you may need different spectrums from seed to bloom.

There is a useful search function on the upper right of the screen. Type in "lighting"

I had used the search fairly extensively, but the threads I kept finding were all a little vague on whether the lumen/sq. foot was based on your total grow space (16 sq ft), the area taken up by the plants (less than 6 sq in currently), or the actually dimensions of the lamp (4 sq ft). I've been lurking for about a month off and on trying to figure this one out and decided to finally just ask.

You have plenty of light. Question is are you growing them to plant outside later or indoor completely? If indoor, you may need different spectrums from seed to bloom.

Conditions allowing I'd like to put them outdoors at least for a few months, but I think I was too late in getting started this year with these and my summer would run out before getting many pods. I had planted ~42 plants back in January, but screwed up with my containers and suffocated them all. I started back up a few weeks ago and still don't have any true leaves yet.

Also, I liked the idea of a perpetual supply :).

Your T5s will do the trick. I'm running 6 T8s and have to slow them down before they get too big before going outside. I wish the weather was on my schedule hehe.

Definitely recommend a timer as it makes your life much easier. Good luck!

Back