Do I need to restart hardening?

Have been hardening my plants off for the last 2 weeks, but the last 3 days have been rainy and cloudy. So The plants have been inside, under the lights. Do i need to restart the hardening process?

I always thought that hardening off your young plants had to do with reducing the % of humidity they grow in that means opening the vents more and more in the humidity dome or if you don't have vents then taking the dome off for an hour or so at a time to see if they cant handle the lower humidity levels and if they wilt you put the dome back on.

Hophead said:
I always thought that hardening off your young plants had to do with reducing the % of humidity they grow in that means opening the vents more and more in the humidity dome or if you don't have vents then taking the dome off for an hour or so at a time to see if they can handle the lower humidity levels and if they wilt you put the dome back on.
Mostly to prevent sunburn getting a tan instead, and getting used to having a breeze.

TOAW said:
Mostly to prevent sunburn getting a tan instead, and getting used to having a breeze.

From what I understand, sunburn for plants is very similar to sunburn for people.  Intense UV irradiation that they are not yet used to since they have been growing up under the protected conditions of mostly visible light.

At some point, I generally move my plants from out from under grow lights into setting in my windows for a few weeks before I move them outside.  A lot of window panes block some light, but they don't block it all.  Also, I will open the windows for a few hours each day to let them receive direct light to harden them off, but also local breezes to strengthen their stalk stoutness.

When you decide to take them outside, put them in a place that receives only a moderate amount of direct sunlight (under an awning, under your porch, behind some bushes, etc..) and slowly ease them out into the full sun other a period of several days.

The answer should be yes. It would be wise to re harden them again. The more they are used to partial sunlight the more ready they become for being outside. Im in a similar situation myself, only much worse! We've been seeing only a few hrs of sun pretty much all week and last week wasnt much better :/. I just have to be patient and wait until it starts to become consistantly sunny, then they will stay outside

Agreed with Megahot, i've been doing the same for the past month, inside then outside, reharden etc.

Any new growth that appeared within those 3 days will be at risk for sunburn, especially the newer tiny  leaves.

Back