• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Do peppers grow better when they are together

Hey everyone. I have some peppers that were supposed to be a certain type but ended up being something else. Anyway when i planted these peppers they were all started from seeds and all germinated. I planted too many so i separated them and gave some away. I curenty have 6 out of 13 that i had and i planted them the following way all in pots/buckets. I have 3 in a 5 gallon bucket and the other 3 in one of those rectagular pots that you put on window sills. At first i tought that they would be too crowded but those 3 seem to be doing better than the ones that are separate in their own container. Now they all have peppers on them but the 3 that are together are almost 3 feet tall and the other ones that are separate are about 2 feet tall. They are the same type of peppers same soil, water and everything. I water them about once at night every 3 days and miracle grow all purpose 1 tablespoon diluted to 1 gallon of water once every 3 weeks, and each of the separate plants get half of the gallon of water while the 3 that are together get almost a full gallon. Why would the 3 that are together grow bigger than the others.

Are the 3 plants grouped together more advanced or just bigger due to competing for light? Compare the space between the leaves on the group of plants to the other plants.

What variety is it?

Harry is referring to the internodal length (branch to branch length). He wants to know if they are just as bushy as the seperate ones.
If plants compete for light they can become leggy and grow taller but not as compact. Can we get some pic?

Whilst your method is different to "clumping" because they are in the same container and not in the ground you could be getting some of the same benefits.

here is a picture of the peppers im talking about
plants001.jpg
">

Harry is referring to the internodal length (branch to branch length). He wants to know if they are just as bushy as the seperate ones.
If plants compete for light they can become leggy and grow taller but not as compact. Can we get some pic?

Whilst your method is different to "clumping" because they are in the same container and not in the ground you could be getting some of the same benefits.

Bingo. I suspected the 3 plants in the one container would be competing for light.

here is a picture of the peppers im talking about
plants001.jpg

I prefer to space plants apart to avoid the long internodal length as demonstrated by your 3 plants on the right. The two plants in their own containers on the left have nice compact growth. The plants in the rectangular container are taller because they are competing for light.

I have two Aji Amarillo plants in the one pot that grew into a tall monster thanks partly to their genetics and also from competition for light. I needed to use several bricks to keep the 32 cm pot from being blown over by the wind. I prefer to have one plant per container.

I too prefer one plant per container. Having said that i will be growing about two containers with more than one plant this season just for the LOLZ, i want to get some twisty together trunks happening! :)

Back