• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds do seeds need to be dried before germinating?

recently i just bought fresh carolina reaper fruit, I saved the seeds from the fruit.

do i need to dry them first, or just put it direcly on rockwool is fine to germinate?
or should i soak them in water for a night just like dried seed before germinating?

They don't need to be dried. There is no need to soak them. There is, however, a viability test for fresh seeds, where you put the seeds in a small container and fill it with water. Viable ones sink, while the nonviable ones float. Also, you could treat them with some anti-fungal solution or inoculant.

However, if you are planning to invest a considerable amount of cash and time into that grow, you really should get the seeds from a reliable source. Biggest reason being, they might not grow true (or germinate at all).

No need to dry seeds.  They germinate much faster when planted out fresh.  I just planted out some cherry bombs from fresh seed, and saw hooks in a little over 2 days.

thanks for quick reply !
another question, sometime i found seed that still have something like white "placenta" attached to the seed after i removed it from the fruit, i should i remove them or let it how it is
will it rot later?

uray said:
thanks for quick reply !
another question, sometime i found seed that still have something like white "placenta" attached to the seed after i removed it from the fruit, i should i remove them or let it how it is
will it rot later?

When I save seeds (drying), I always remove the placenta with all the seeds attached, wrap in a paper towel and place in an envelope.

i63G8ng.jpg

Never had any spoilage.

As long as seeds are from a "fresh source" as you mention.  Commercial supermarket and other outlets could have peppers that have been irradiated before reaching market.

Had that happen with Habanero seeds from Market store.  The few sprouts I managed to fire off...(maybe 2 seeds out of a 100  looked like some sort of Chernobyl Strain.  They made it to maturity though.  Horrible experience with irradiated seed.

Streamer said:
As long as seeds are from a "fresh source" as you mention.  Commercial supermarket and other outlets could have peppers that have been irradiated before reaching market.

Had that happen with Habanero seeds from Market store.  The few sprouts I managed to fire off...(maybe 2 seeds out of a 100  looked like some sort of Chernobyl Strain.  They made it to maturity though.  Horrible experience with irradiated seed.

I'm pretty sure that if they've been irradiated, they're supposed to be labeled as such.  And if they have been, I don't think you'll get even one seed to grow.
It's been a long time since I've seen any irradiated produce.  Do they still do that in the US?
Some of my best habs are from a local latin market.  I grew them out, and they are stellar producers. (not to mention taste incredible)

My favorite hab to grow so far was from seed from an overpriced Walmart habanero.
That said, maybe you had subpar germination because produce is often picked unripe? Like I still get sprouts from green jalapeño seeds, but less than if I'd waited for it to ripen.

Back