• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Do these need repotting? Would love some advice. Pics inside.

Hey all.

I've been told before that I should look into potting these up into bigger pots. I'm thinking about doing it today. 

Here is a picture of my 3 super hots (Trinidad Moruga, Brain Strain Red, Trinidad Chocolate).

The bigger pot is the one i'm thinking about moving them into. Any thoughts?

sfdUoMz.jpg

Here is what the same 3 plants looked like 5 months ago:

wzCDNau.jpg

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. 5 months is a pretty long time. Could they be root bound?

Would love some replies before I repot them. Thanks for reading.  :P

Do you see roots coming out of the bottom holes?
What are you feeding them and how often?
IMO I wouldnt have topped them that short.

I don't see roots coming out of the bottom holes, or at least that apparent.

I use a liquid fertilizer every other week.

I didn't top them, I ordered them from Bakerspeppers.com and they came in topped like that. I sen't him an e-mail and he says he tops all his plants like that and they do good.

K. what are you using for a potting mix? At least the bigger two plants in the top pic could be potted up.

8mIyude.jpg

lhr1pzQ.jpg

I use this, and I add a good amount of perlite.

I also have cow manure and spagnum peat moss that is not in the soil for those plants at the moment, but I could add when I repot them.

K. The plants that are topped. Just keep doing what you are doing by feeding them a little on a bi-weekly basis. Id also incorporate a little cal-mag when you feed em.

Pot em up! The more room to grow the better. Have you pulled the plants out of the pot to see if they're root bound? If they've been in those pots 5 months i bet they're tangled as hell. Not having room for the roots to grow will produce smaller plants. These types of plants need a big root structure because they will grow huge. I had a few that were in smaller pots and they seemed healthy but wouldn't grow. Soon as they were potted up... Kaboom!!! They took off. I'm telling you dude.. Go pot em up asap if you haven't already and they'll take off. Btw don't be scared your going to hurt it. Bust those roots up and try and untangle them a bit. Your plant will be fine trust me thats how i do it.

Really tho a beast of a plant like this isn't going to grow this big in a pot that size! Here's one of my brainstrains in a 5 gallon bucket.

CAM01894_zps321a9b2e.jpg

Next season this plant will be in a 50 gallon drum hopefully. I wanna see what this thing is capable of. Lol

smileyguy697 said:
Pot em up! The more room to grow the better. Have you pulled the plants out of the pot to see if they're root bound? If they've been in those pots 5 months i bet they're tangled as hell. Not having room for the roots to grow will produce smaller plants. These types of plants need a big root structure because they will grow huge. I had a few that were in smaller pots and they seemed healthy but wouldn't grow. Soon as they were potted up... Kaboom!!! They took off. I'm telling you dude.. Go pot em up asap if you haven't already and they'll take off. Btw don't be scared your going to hurt it. Bust those roots up and try and untangle them a bit. Your plant will be fine trust me thats how i do it.

Really tho a beast of a plant like this isn't going to grow this big in a pot that size! Here's one of my brainstrains in a 5 gallon bucket.

CAM01894_zps321a9b2e.jpg

HAHA. awesome. time to pot up!

Kwest13 said:

Would you recommend I pot up into the pot that is shown in my picture? Or should I go bigger like a 5 gal?
If I were you id definitely go into much bigger pots. 20l plus. That tall plant of yours looks like it has a hard time standing up which is caused by the tree height too big for the root mass. Check out my glog. I had much smaller plants in 120mm pots and they filled the pots quick. They grew so quick when I potted them up, I expect them to rocket now they're in the dirt!

Pot up and Keep potting up. I've been planting from a 6" container directly into a  10-15 gallon clay pot, and the plants really take off. I do use Coir soil mix though, which doesnt break down nearly as quickly as peat or compost soils. 

If you are using compost based soils you have to pot up gradually or else the soil will break down too rapidly and you will end up with a compacted soil mess with no porespace. 

I would start using soil that is either made from either Coir or Canadian peat.

Yeah bigger the better! That brainstrain in the pic is going in a 50 gallon drum next year. I plan on seeing what the plant is capable of. LOL

Pot up dude. Let those roots grow and the canopy will follow. Canopy size is reflective upon it's root size. Same reason people root prune to keep something small. I always notice that the first week after re potting doesn't always produce growth up top but rather root growth. Then once the roots get established you will see huge growth. Just from my experience.

Smileyguy, that thing is wicked!!

Back