• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

do they look like what it said on the packet?

Shopping on eBay and i managed to get me these beauties.

The yellow is supposedly a 'Yellow 7 pot' and the red 'Trinidad Scorpion'. 

The yellow has a lovely chinense smell to it though it is very hot.

Thing is though the scorpions don't smell like the scorpions i've had in the past, they have a naga like aroma to them... not to dissimilar to the moruga hybrids i got a few day's ago.

Nigel said:
The yellow 7-pots look right. The Scorpions look more like Red 7-pots, so how does the small compare with the yellow pods?

the reds have a definite naga scent (and taste).. where as the yellows are more pungent fruity, a bit like a habanero type.

Nigel said:
The yellow 7-pots look right. The Scorpions look more like Red 7-pots, so how does the small compare with the yellow pods?

scotchnaga85 said:

the reds have a definite naga scent (and taste).. where as the yellows are more pungent fruity, a bit like a habanero type.

They should smell similar, even if the red ones are scorpions. If they smell and taste a bit like nagas, then they probably are a bit like nagas. I don`t find that anything from Trinidad tastes/smells like a naga. I haven`t eaten every type of chilli from Trinidad by any stretch, but I have had many of them. Of course, it may just be my weird sense of smell/taste. 

Nigel said:
They should smell similar, even if the red ones are scorpions. If they smell and taste a bit like nagas, then they probably are a bit like nagas. I don`t find that anything from Trinidad tastes/smells like a naga. I haven`t eaten every type of chilli from Trinidad by any stretch, but I have had many of them. Of course, it may just be my weird sense of smell/taste. 

Nigel said:
the yellows though taste nothing like a scorpion, Scorpions to my taste buds are not that nice.

the reds is a dorset naga type flavour.

When I liken them to other more common chillies such as a naga or habanero it doesn't mean that im saying that the flavour is an exact match, just similar, ;)
just looking into it on google and stumbled on this article... so the 7 pot is the likely parent of the Morich?

http://www.fiery-foods.com/pepper-profiles/153-chinense-species/2847-the-rare-trinidad-7-pot-superhot-chile?showall=1

This site here describes the smell of the yellow as similiar to that of bhut/ morich naga's... i disagree though.

http://www.pepperseeds.eu/7-pod-yellow.html

I don`t think anyone knows the origins of the Bhuts and Nagas. What is known is that they are interspecies hybrids, having some C.chinense and some C.annuum genes. I don`t believe that`s true of the 7-pots or scorpions, but I don`t know for sure. 

[SIZE=medium]A Genetic Comparison of “Bhut Jolokia” and “Bih Jolokia”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]Thesis:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18pt]Literature Review and Research Paper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Faculty of Agriculture[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]The University of Sydney[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]23[/SIZE][SIZE=7.0961pt]th[/SIZE][SIZE=16pt] October 2009[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Conclusions:[/SIZE]
 * “Bhut Jolokia” and “Bih Jolokia” have different genetic structure based on comparison of DNA fragment and sequence data using 3 molecular techniques employed across six of the 12 Capsicum chromosomes.
* “Bih Jolokia” genetic structure is highly homologous with C.chinense and C.frutescens species whereas “Bhut Jolokia” is structurally more closely linked with C.annuum species.
* Reduced crop load in “Bhut Jolokia” as compared with “Bih Jolokia” may be linked to genetic self incompatibility.
* Continued research comparing such varieties and their closely related native landraces will prove to be vital in understanding evolutionary relationships that may be useful in overcoming agricultural barriers such as crop yield for such varieties.

I ate a large yellow 7-pot yesterday (19g) and it smelled/tasted nothing at all like a Naga. I`ve eaten lots and lots of them and none taste/smell like Nagas to me. I`ve eaten tons of Bhuts and Nagas, too. And hybrids.

We all taste and smell slightly differently, so I am in no way saying you are wrong. 

Back