• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Do you add perlite or vermiculite to growing media?

After the seedling stage, when they're ready to move into pots, do you add perlite or vermiculite or both (or something else?) to your potting soil?

I'm just using the potting soil available at the local greenhouses (link at the end, but it's all in Spanish). I'm also realizing my pots are not very big by comparison with what many on here are using--I've had my jalapenos in a 25cm/5.5liter pot.

I'm trying to get set up properly for the next growing season and I picked up some Compo Seed Starting Mix to get them rolling, but I want to make sure I have a healthy mix to move them into once they're ready to go.

The soil: https://productosflower.com/es/huer...uerto-urbano-bio.html#/61-formato-saco_de_20l

Reactions: BDP
Historically I used a small volume of perlite with my peat/soil/compost blend… maybe 10% perlite. If the soil is thick and clay-like more perlite. - I’d suggest a minimum of 5 gallon planter for a plant outside. I put my anaheims and poblanos in 12-15 gallon pots and the smaller guys in 7 gallon pots.

I believe there is a critical difference between the two and it has everything to do with the climate in which you are growing. In a nut shell, Perlite is better suited for areas with high summer rainfall and Vermiculite is better suited for areas with low summer rainfall. I live in an area with huge amounts of rain in summer. I only use Perlite in my mix as my medium needs to be well draining. In my climate Vermiculite retains too much water and flattens in the medium, causing the medium to go very dense and water logged. Plants get sick. Growers in very dry climates would benefit from using more Vermiculite as it retains more moisture. Some growers have a mix of both as a percentage of their medium. I believe its all about knowing your climate and finding what will work best for you.

These answers are all very helpful. Thank you!

Historically I used a small volume of perlite with my peat/soil/compost blend… maybe 10% perlite. If the soil is thick and clay-like more perlite. - I’d suggest a minimum of 5 gallon planter for a plant outside. I put my anaheims and poblanos in 12-15 gallon pots and the smaller guys in 7 gallon pots.
Whoops! This might explain my tiny jalapeno pods 😂 I had wondered if I had missed something with the nutrients or topping, but I'll have to try a larger container.

I believe there is a critical difference between the two and it has everything to do with the climate in which you are growing. In a nut shell, Perlite is better suited for areas with high summer rainfall and Vermiculite is better suited for areas with low summer rainfall. I live in an area with huge amounts of rain in summer. I only use Perlite in my mix as my medium needs to be well draining. In my climate Vermiculite retains too much water and flattens in the medium, causing the medium to go very dense and water logged. Plants get sick. Growers in very dry climates would benefit from using more Vermiculite as it retains more moisture. Some growers have a mix of both as a percentage of their medium. I believe its all about knowing your climate and finding what will work best for you.
I'll have a look at vermiculite, then--it's fairly dry here in southern Spain. It looks like it also provides some calcium and magnesium, so that's a bonus.

Back