• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

do you plant vendors actually cut through all the red tape? or sneak around?

All of you seedling vendors out there - I was looking into shipping some plants and holy crap what a pain! Reading the requirements for each state is enough to deter me by itself.
Do you vendors actually find the specific requirements, fill out the paper work, include the certificates, etc etc for each shipment, or do you just hope it makes it there? It doesn't seem worth the time and effort for the money... wtf?

Hobby growers are different then commercial growers. If your going to make money from this then you need to be legit. If you are a hobby grower and only do a few seeds here and there just to help out a fellow grower and get paid a little for your time then don't worry about it. But if you want to do this for profit then yes you must pay to play.

Me I just give it away as I have a real job for making money and for me it's a hobby not a commercial operation even though I have a large grow I don't sell what I don't need....

bakers and buckeye would be good people to ask.
I don't think they would want to post publicly that they aren't following regulations required.

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
Hobby growers are different then commercial growers. If your going to make money from this then you need to be legit. If you are a hobby grower and only do a few seeds here and there just to help out a fellow grower and get paid a little for your time then don't worry about it. But if you want to do this for profit then yes you must pay to play.

Me I just give it away as I have a real job for making money and for me it's a hobby not a commercial operation even though I have a large grow I don't sell what I don't need....

I am a hobby grower with more plants than I need and I was looking into it to do a big 'plant giveaway' for just the cost of shipping. The thought was inspired by Karl (Hendrix1326) and his industrial-scale seed giveaway. I looked into it and have pretty much given up after seeing all the regulations etc.

[SIZE=14pt]I would send out FREE plants for the cost of shipping. (Not Calif)  You would be ok. Don't ask Bakers Peppers as Dale will flat out tell you NO don't do this. Why would any plant/seed seller tell you it’s ok when you’re taking money from them? Just do it.  This is my opinion only as I know few on here that ship plants without a horticulture greenhouse license but since I am not your attorney ship at your discretion. [/SIZE]

New element reference. Nice.
Peppers are priceless!! They're like children; you probably couldn't sell em for much on the open market the parents sure will pay to get em back.

impending_bending said:

I am a hobby grower with more plants than I need and I was looking into it to do a big 'plant giveaway' for just the cost of shipping. The thought was inspired by Karl (Hendrix1326) and his industrial-scale seed giveaway. I looked into it and have pretty much given up after seeing all the regulations etc.
I might know someone who distributed small plants all over the USA from the garden of a fellow grower who, unfortunately, died. I believe that person stuffed as many as they could get, bare-root wrapped in damp paper towel, into SFRBs and sent them off. From CA to PA to OH to TX to FL to AL and everywhere in-between. All the plants dropped their leaves within a few days of arrival, but grew back Ok, as far as that person knows..............

All were given away for $0. It probably is illegal to do so, but especially if a profit is desired, as at that point you become a commercial operation. 

shipping/transporting live plants is really funky.  A LOT of regulations.  I know a THP member who moved from CA to NV and had to give away a bunch of mature pepper plants cuz they couldn't be transported across state lines. 

Heck you can't even transport homegrown apples across state lines in the NW. 

Some people do ship legally and are fully licensed.  Since you're a hobby grower and looking to pass on the surplus starts, I'd say don't go over state lines.  Give it away locally, post it on your local Craigslist, and let people come pick 'em up.  Sell 'em at a FM or garden club sale and donate the $ to the club.

Nigel said:
I might know someone who distributed small plants all over the USA from the garden of a fellow grower who, unfortunately, died. I believe that person stuffed as many as they could get, bare-root wrapped in damp paper towel, into SFRBs and sent them off. From CA to PA to OH to TX to FL to AL and everywhere in-between. All the plants dropped their leaves within a few days of arrival, but grew back Ok, as far as that person knows..

Perhaps the single most appropriate thing that possibly could have been done.  I remember that effort.  To hear now of its success is humbling, in a good way.

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
[SIZE=14pt]I would send out FREE plants for the cost of shipping. (Not Calif)  You would be ok. Don't ask Bakers Peppers as Dale will flat out tell you NO don't do this. Why would any plant/seed seller tell you it’s ok when you’re taking money from them? Just do it.  This is my opinion only as I know few on here that ship plants without a horticulture greenhouse license but since I am not your attorney ship at your discretion. [/SIZE]
Good points all around. If I pay you a retainer and get fined, will you assume responsibility? :)
Nigel said:
I might know someone who distributed small plants all over the USA from the garden of a fellow grower who, unfortunately, died. I believe that person stuffed as many as they could get, bare-root wrapped in damp paper towel, into SFRBs and sent them off. From CA to PA to OH to TX to FL to AL and everywhere in-between. All the plants dropped their leaves within a few days of arrival, but grew back Ok, as far as that person knows..............

All were given away for $0. It probably is illegal to do so, but especially if a profit is desired, as at that point you become a commercial operation. 
That is really cool (sad, bust best of a shit situation). Some of the stories I read on these forums are truly inspiring
salsalady said:
Some people do ship legally and are fully licensed.  Since you're a hobby grower and looking to pass on the surplus starts, I'd say don't go over state lines.  Give it away locally, post it on your local Craigslist, and let people come pick 'em up.  Sell 'em at a FM or garden club sale and donate the $ to the club.
I'm looking to give them to the good people of THP, not some schlup on craigslist that doesn't know a bhut from a dried tomato. Well, it's not so much the schlup aspect as a lot of people here are really generous and I want to contribute since that is not something you see very often anymore. Selling them is kinda counter-productive to my goal of spreading the heat to everyone. The people here obviously like peppers so they will care for them, and if they are free then it gives more people a chance to grow. We've all been (or are) on a tight budget at some point... (if anyone hasn't, well f u buddy :) ) That way, broke-ass college students living off of top ramen noodles can have something to change that god-awful flavor that comes after the 60-70th serving.

Thanks for the ideas though, and I might do an AZ giveaway as you suggested. Just a shame not to be able to spread them out further

I totally understand the sentiment.  Especially wanting to share with those who will appreciate what you have to offer vs the schlup.    You'll figure something out.  :) 

I don't think anyone is going to come after you for sending a plant here or there. Maybe strike CA off the list but I wouldn't worry anywhere else. I've had plants shipped from AZ, OR, AL, SC and probably a few others. Just people sending them in SFRB. No big deal. Just my non expert opinion.

This may or may not be too late or relevant, but I can share one experience I have had with shipping seedlings to CA...

I ordered a seedling Sequoia Tree from online and their way around the soil issue for sending seedlings to CA is to dip the roots in a gel material which holds moisture long enough to ship the plant. I could not tell you what it was called, but it was soiless and pretty much a simple shipment from that point. It came in regular time and without issues. The plant survived and grew just fine after transplanting.

They even stated that to send plants to CA they would do this on their website. Unfortunately, it has been WELL over a year since I ordered it and I don't remember who or where I ordered it from online.

Thanks for all the input, not at all too late.

I don't want to sell them at all, I want to give them away. I have given some away, but there are only so many chile heads locally and I want to make sure they get good homes so to speak. Also, the people here are very generous, so I want to reciprocate.
thepodpiper said:
If you want to sell your plants why don't you just do it locally and not worry about shipping?  Just curious.

Back