• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Dodgeski Seeds

Can anyone tell me whether these butch t seeds look ok to plant, some of them look decidedly dodgy to me, what do you guys think?

P1030663.jpg

P1030664.jpg

***First time posting images so hope they come out ok***

Matt

If they popped then plant em. It's tough to tell from just looking at them most of the time, but usually as long as they aren't overly discolored, broken, or small, they have a good shot at opening. The one that already has a root coming out will grow for sure as long as you give it some light and soil.

As said, the one's starting to germinate need to be put into soil now. As for the others, I'd give them a dip in a peroxide solution (I use a splash of domestos in a cup full of water) and put them in fresh damp paper towels in bags. That's what I did when I had a whole batch of bhut jolokia seeds go moldy. After that 7 out of 10 popped and pretty quickly too.

Thanks for the help matt :halo:

As said, the one's starting to germinate need to be put into soil now. As for the others, I'd give them a dip in a peroxide solution (I use a splash of domestos in a cup full of water) and put them in fresh damp paper towels in bags. That's what I did when I had a whole batch of bhut jolokia seeds go moldy. After that 7 out of 10 popped and pretty quickly too.

I would have thought demestos would have killed the tiny seeds, thats a great tip and if you say it worked for you then I reckon I'll give it a go. Are we talking a really weak dilution?

Yea I just put a splash in the bottom of a glass and top up with water. I didn't think it a good idea at the time but had no other options. It did work and I'm using it again to start seeds. So far they are germinating so it seems to do no harm but prevents the mold.

That one that has popped already--looks like the root is growing through the paper towel. I'd cut around it carefully with scissors and plant a bit of the paper with it into a growing medium right away.

I use coffee filters instead of paper towel--tighter weave, less likely to have that.

+1 on a weak H2O2 rinse for mold on seeds. A weak chamomile tea also works for me.

Those seeds look mostly great, good luck.... :cool:

That one that has popped already--looks like the root is growing through the paper towel. I'd cut around it carefully with scissors and plant a bit of the paper with it into a growing medium right away.

I use coffee filters instead of paper towel--tighter weave, less likely to have that.

+1 on a weak H2O2 rinse for mold on seeds. A weak chamomile tea also works for me.

Those seeds look mostly great, good luck.... :cool:

Thanks Siliman, luckily its not actually growing thru the paper towel or that could have got fiddly. I've now planted the 2 that are sprouting and waiting for some more pots b4 doing the rest, the ones I've planted are literally just breaking the soil now and look like their going to do fine, phew!!!

Good job! Peppers are pretty tough overall and could easily survive a bit of toweling, but why chance it? Also, I think there's a lot of variation of when people plant their container-born seeds into medium. Some let them get quite large, even to the point of seeing green cotys before they plant.

My fear (possibly unfounded) comes from my youth when I planted thousands of tree seedlings. A big no-no was to "J-root" the tap root trying to stuff it into a hole. While peppers might be able to grow through this condition, I like to avoid that scenario with 'early' planting before the root develops very much. Plus it's just easier.... :cool:

Back