• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Does anyone have any issues growing outside in the summer heat?

I live in AZ and I feel like it seriously stunted the growth of my plants. They got 1' at most and was very lanky. It barely produced any fruit and fell over when it did. The method I'm going to use now should help A LOT. All I did before was put them in a raised bed with potting soil and used Miracle Gro pellets. Now I'm using a soil mix of: 1 part potting soil, 1 park peat moss, and half a part of vermiculite. I'm going to be using a fertilizer consisting of 1 part urea, 1 part pot ash, and two parts bone meal. I mix 1 teaspoon per gallon of water.

I'm also going to be growing in pots now. My main concern now is the heat. How do you guys do with the heat?

heat should not be too much of an issue providing you supply everything the plants need in regards to nutrients, water and a decent substrate. all day in the AZ sun is also going to be stressful so you will need to grow in and area where relief during the hottest times of the day is provided and or available.

heat should not be too much of an issue providing you supply everything the plants need in regards to nutrients, water and a decent substrate. all day in the AZ sun is also going to be stressful so you will need to grow in and area where relief during the hottest times of the day is provided and or available.

Thanks. This is the main reason I am putting them in pots. :)

Thanks!

In hot areas, peppers do well with some shade. Either natural (trees, etc.) or a sunshade cover. I just move to Boise where it supposedly gets hot in the summer. I'm going to place my peppers  so that they're in the shade come late afternoon. Even in Portland (my former residence), peppers got sunburn if they sat in direct sun all day long.

What size pots are you using?

I'm in South Texas, 5 gal pots resulted in me coming home by 2:45PM and finding saggy, wilted plants, everyday! Just couldn't keep them watered in the heat. 20 gal grow bags fixed that. So I guess the deal is you want them to have the moisture, but you shouldn't have to soak them to keep them alive.

And as mentioned, some shade. I use a 30% sunshade after it hits mid 90's, which here is May.

Good luck this season!

What size pots are you using?

I'm in South Texas, 5 gal pots resulted in me coming home by 2:45PM and finding saggy, wilted plants, everyday! Just couldn't keep them watered in the heat. 20 gal grow bags fixed that. So I guess the deal is you want them to have the moisture, but you shouldn't have to soak them to keep them alive.

And as mentioned, some shade. I use a 30% sunshade after it hits mid 90's, which here is May.

Good luck this season!
Thanks!

Going to try some of my 'excess' seedlings outside once they get big enough...is 20G soft pots the way to go?

Was thinking of riggin up a dip system and using 5-10G's.

Good luck with the grow TJ...any progress pics?

Going to try some of my 'excess' seedlings outside once they get big enough...is 20G soft pots the way to go?

Was thinking of riggin up a dip system and using 5-10G's.

Good luck with the grow TJ...any progress pics?
Thanks! I do, but they're in a Google doc. Would you mind me linking it?

Back